There are a variety of saltwater gamefish which can be found here year round including : Calico Bass, White Sea Bass, Halibut, and homeguard Yellowtail. Seasonally, migrating Yellowtail, Barracuda, and Bonito may also be taken from the Island. There is also very good rockfishing on the many reefs around the island. Spring and Summer are the best times to fish here although rockfish are caught year-round except during the closure from January to March. Be sure to check the DFW web site for current regulations and closure information before heading out.
- GPS Reference Points (format is Degrees.Minutes.Seconds)
- Arch Rock : 34.01.03 / 119.21.21
- Anacapa SMR1 : 34.00.59 / 119.21.29 - No Fishing West of this line.
- Anacapa SMR2 : 34.01.00 / 119.21.24 - No Fishing West of this line.
- Anacapa SMR3 : 34.04.59 / 119.21.24 - No Fishing West and South of this line.
- Anacapa SMR4 : 34.04.59 / 119.26.42 - No Fishing East and South of this line.
- Anacapa SMR5 : 34.00.48 / 119.26.42 - No Fishing East and North of this line.
- Anacapa SMR6 : 34.00.48 / 119.26.36 - No Fishing North of this line.
- The Gap : 34.01.51 / 119.29.53
- Fish Camp : 34.00.21 / 119.22.59
- Footprint SMR1 : 33.59.18 / 119.25.59 - No Fishing West and South of this line.
- Footprint SMR2 : 33.59.18 / 119.30.59 - No Fishing East and South of this line.
- Footprint SMR3 : 33.54.02 / 119.25.59 - No Fishing West and North of this line.
- Footprint SMR4 : 33.54.02 / 119.30.59 - No Fishing East and North of this line.
Comments and Tips:
Although it is generally calm around this island, boaters should be aware that rough conditions can occur in-between the island and mainland. Smaller vessels less than 20ft. are not recommended for crossing the channel unless you are an experienced captain and know the ocean conditions well.
If you know something about this area or have some photos that you'd like to share, please E-mail and I'll post it here!