Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1 out of 2 ain't bad...

Default 1 out of 2 ain't bad...

After church this morning I met up with a buddy of mine on Del Mar beach, Camp Pendletom to do some surf fishing. I had a personal mission to scratch the only 2 fish I haven't caught yet this year, a Corbina and a Spotfin.

I got to the spot at roughly 1300 and my buddy met up with me shortly after. Dug up some nice 3/4" size SCs and 3 cast later and I was able to check off one of my HVT off my list, a fat 14" Corbina. After unhooking him and answering some questions from out of towners he went back in to grow bigger and be caught another day.

Then it was dead for about 5 mins. Not even a nibble. When my buddy finally showed up I was reeling in my second fish of the day, a dink 6" BSP.

At the peak of low tide the bite just died and the kelp was rolling in. For about an hour none of us wasn't getting anything beside salads.

When the kelp finally let off some the nibble was on again. My buddy caught his 1st surf fish ever, a dink 8" BSP (I think he's hooked now). A few mins later he got a hard hit. This fish had to be big because it took the bait and ran then snapped his 10# line clean off.

He had to head home early because his daughter was getting cold. As he was reeling in his line I got hit hard. I thought it was HVT #2 but when it got close it was another Corbina. He was smaller then the 1st but he had a little more fight in him. I decided to take this one home for momma's dinner because he was gut hooked.

I stuck around for another hour before I had to go back home and play daddy. I got hit hard twice. 1 of 'em was like my buddy's but he just hit and ran and the other one came unbutton about 5' in front of me before I could Pos ID'ed him.

I'll be back tomorrow again in the hunt for HVT #2.

All in all, a great day on the water and 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

My fish count for the day was:
    2 Corbina 14"-12"
    4 BSP all about 6"
    Last edited by Re8elmonk0341; 07-01-2012 at 09:16 PM.

I would have switched to t-rigged grubs. You should try that some time.

I just got some kalins 3 inch grubs. I wish they had more colors..

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    I would have switched to t-rigged grubs. You should try that some time.

I just got some kalins 3 inch grubs. I wish they had more colors..

I actually bought and was going to use some motor oil color 1.5" grubs that I'd put in a plastic pill bottle and drenched with Uni Butter because GCSW are hard to come by these days but the SC were so plentiful and workings. So I just figure stick with the SCs.

But you're right, I should've mixed it up a little bit...

Oooorah!...Re8elmonk0341!

It does my ol' Marine heart good to read the stories of the battles and the near misses while in hand-to-hand combat with the enemy!

All-in-all.....not a bad day out there monk!

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Oooorah!...Re8elmonk0341!

It does my ol' Marine heart good to read the stories of the battles and the near misses while in hand-to-hand combat with the enemy!

All-in-all.....not a bad day out there monk!

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><

Oorah! And you know us Marines ALWAYS accomplish the mission no matter what! I'll be out there until HVT #2 gets crossed off my list.

Semper Fi!

-m0nk

Hey reb,
    Good job with the target fish!
    One out of 2 aint bad at all in my book...
    How was the corbina? Folks tell me they taste delicious...
    Take Care Bro,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Hey reb,
    Good job with the target fish!
    One out of 2 aint bad at all in my book...
    How was the corbina? Folks tell me they taste delicious...
    Take Care Bro,
    Robert
    <><
    I'll let you know when I actually taste one Robert haha I deep fried it for the wife with mango salsa and she loved it. I also heard from other folks that they're good eating fish. If I catch a 23" or under I'll keep the next one for myself just to try hehe