Irvine Lake   Bass Pro Shops   Bargain Outfitters   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   Shop Hunting  SARL / Corona Lake  Channel Islands Sportfishing  Team 57 fishing  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  Last Chance Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: shark fishing from piers

  1. #1

    Default shark fishing from piers

    I was wondering what would be good bait for leopard sharks or any other sharks that frequent close to shore in so cal. i was looking for any tips. what kind of rigging i should use and how should i bait the hook. thanks for the help guys would love to land a nice size shark. its a dream of mine to catch a nice size shark.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rat Beach
    Posts
    6,990

    Default

    Kinda tough landing a 'nice sized' one on a pier. You need a hoopnet or beach landing for a nice sized one or a pier gaff if you want to keep it. Squid, mackeral fillet will work for leopards or smoothounds.

    Rigging depends on how big of shark you want to target. You can catch them on 4 lb test to 60 lb or more.



    It's ok to put your finger in the baby sharks mouth for a pic and bragging rights.
    ' Yeah, I catch sharks and stick my finger in thier mouth and let them chew on me '
    ' Want to see a pic '



    There were 7 authenticated unprovoked shark attacks reported from the Pacific Coast of North America during 2010. There were 5 attacks (1 fatal) from California and 2 from Oregon. The attacks were distributed in the following months; July (2), August (2), September (1) and October (2). From 2000 to the present, of 56 total reported shark attacks, 28 (50%), occurred during the months August (10), September (8), or October (10). If we use the Southern Santa Barbara County line as a division between Southern and Central California, 1 of the reported attacks occurred in Southern California with the remaining 4 north of the division line. Both Oregon shark attack locations were about midway between the California and Washington borders at Winchester Bay and the Siuslaw River. Activities of the victims were; 3 Surfing, 2 Kayaking, 1 Paddle-Boarder, and 1 Boogie Boarder (fatal). The Great White Shark, Carcharodon carcharias, was positively identified or highly suspect in all 7 of the attacks.

    http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co...shark_news.htm
    Last edited by DockRat; 04-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    It really depends on what the sharks are eating.. match the hatch...

    A good bait for large sharks is a nice big fat golfball-sized roe-laden sandcrab, A fresh-cut surfperch, fresh, bloody mackerel strip, or the entire contents of a jumbo-california mussel.

    You're better off targeting them from one of the jetties, that way you wont need an umbrella-net. If you grab a Leo by the nose, it goes limp.

  4. #4

    Default

    thanks a lot for the advice i will keep it in mind when i go fishing again. i figured live bait or fresh bait would work best. looks like i am going fishing for mackerel and hunting some sand crabs. i figured it would be kinda of hard on the pier but i was hoping it was possible. looks like i will have to hit up the jetties and the surf.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beaver825 View Post
    thanks a lot for the advice i will keep it in mind when i go fishing again. i figured live bait or fresh bait would work best. looks like i am going fishing for mackerel and hunting some sand crabs. i figured it would be kinda of hard on the pier but i was hoping it was possible. looks like i will have to hit up the jetties and the surf.
    Dont count the piers out though, ive seen massive sharks and rays caught at just the OC piers.. HB pier in summer, on the end gives you a chance to catch threshers. These only hit live bait.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North OC
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    I have caught many leopard sharks from newport and balboa piers up to 4 1/2' in the past 5 years. Usually on squid or anchovies. I use 20# p-line and have been able to land them on the pier without a hoop net and release them. So it can be done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    I have caught many leopard sharks from newport and balboa piers up to 4 1/2' in the past 5 years. Usually on squid or anchovies. I use 20# p-line and have been able to land them on the pier without a hoop net and release them. So it can be done.
    As long as you tie a good strong knot, I could see a leo being pulled over the rail.. I've pulled up DD batrays with 6-lb test.. But if you hook into a really big fish, like a 30-40 lb shovelnose, it wont be easy...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North OC
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    As long as you tie a good strong knot, I could see a leo being pulled over the rail.. I've pulled up DD batrays with 6-lb test.. But if you hook into a really big fish, like a 30-40 lb shovelnose, it wont be easy...
    I agree it definatley isn't easy. I sometimes bring my hoopnet for the big leopards, shovels, or bats. But most times I like to travel light. About 3 months ago I hooked into a bat ray that I would estimate at 60# and I had nothing to land it in. A guy wanted to use his rope gaff but I had no intensions of keeping it so I wouldn't let him do it and it broke me off shortly afterwards. You never know what you might hook into out there and reeling anything big up to the top of the pier is sometimes a battle that your gear may not be able to handle.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Whole squid works for everything, dropper loop, or double swivel one regular and one snap swivel tie it so your weight could slide up and down, 4-5 oz torpedo. Belmont pier end of the pier on the right arm left side great for for shovelnose shark, seal beach, bolsa chica, long beach rocks all hold nice leopard and sand sharks. They all hold nice shark late evening into the dark is the best time for them remember sharks generally are nocturnal. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToadsToadsOnly View Post
    Whole squid works for everything, dropper loop, or double swivel one regular and one snap swivel tie it so your weight could slide up and down, 4-5 oz torpedo. Belmont pier end of the pier on the right arm left side great for for shovelnose shark, seal beach, bolsa chica, long beach rocks all hold nice leopard and sand sharks. They all hold nice shark late evening into the dark is the best time for them remember sharks generally are nocturnal. Good luck.
    Dang, a 5-oz? Lol that's intense, I generally go no heavier than 2-oz pyramids..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •