Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/03/10 Catfish on senko

Default 7/03/10 Catfish on senko

Went out today and wacky wormed a senko trying to get some bass action. On my third cast I get a hit so set the hook and reel it in. I was expecting a 2lb to 3lber LMB but it was not to be, instead I see a channel cat probably in the aforementioned weight class, no scale. I never ever caught a catfish on artificial bait, first time. Does this happen often, catfish hitting artificial lures? Just curious. Btw, no bass for me today.

The fish was on the grass for less than 30 sec while I took a picture, CPR no worries

Pic of a pair of geese hangin around the area, always there, same spot

I guess geese mate for life
    Last edited by stressD; 07-03-2010 at 08:54 PM.

I've heard stories of cats hitting bass lures. Caught one on a silver kastmaster on a slow retrieve but that's all the personal experience I've had with cats hitting anything but bait.

I do know that they hit those plastic worms that are dipped in stink bait, so I suppose it happens every once in a while that they make a grab at a senko or something.

Nice catch tho partner, the bass will be found next time!

Catfish are predatory, so getting in their strike-zone will produce.

The only place ive caught cats on lures is at eldo. I caught a 2lber on a 2.5 inch jerkbait and i got one on a small lip ripper while fishing for trout. The one that suprised me the most was the jerk bait cause I saw a bass sitting on its bed, i threw it out and he hit it but missed. So i tossed out again in the same spot and i saw the hit and thought it was the bass but i pulled in a cat. pretty weird. I was bummed but at the same time thought it was cool to catch a cat on a jerkbait

This was ages ago but I caught a 3-4 lb catfish at Echo Park Lake on a 4" Rapala Minnow

nice cat
    thanks for the report and pics

my friend did that last week at DVL 10lb cat.

hmmm cpr on catfish? i dont think you have to worry about cpr on catfish since they're stocked fish. i dont think people mind so much. you could have taken that home and made a nice catfish sammich. but then again i dont mind if you cpr on catfish more chances for me to hook um up.

and nice catch!

thanks for the posts fellas, i guess cats on artificial lures happen more often then i thought, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by whosfishingwho View Post
    hmmm cpr on catfish? i dont think you have to worry about cpr on catfish since they're stocked fish. i dont think people mind so much. you could have taken that home and made a nice catfish sammich. but then again i dont mind if you cpr on catfish more chances for me to hook um up.

and nice catch!
    hey! don't u know? there are ppl on this forum who are really sensitive about catch and release, i had to give them peace of mind.
    not just bass but pretty much any fish.
    anyways, i C&R all fish that i catch, especially the ones out of local city lake, I assume you know why, nudge... hint... crappy water, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by stressD View Post
    thanks for the posts fellas, i guess cats on artificial lures happen more often then i thought, good to know.

hey! don't u know? there are ppl on this forum who are really sensitive about catch and release, i had to give them peace of mind.
    not just bass but pretty much any fish.
    anyways, i C&R all fish that i catch, especially the ones out of local city lake, I assume you know why, nudge... hint... crappy water, lol.
    I saw a guy C&R a nice dd kitty at El Dorado back in May. Its one thing keeping and eating the recently stocked kitties, but I for one wouldn't want to eat anything that's been in the city park lakes for a long amount of time. God only knows what's in those waters. I could be off base, but that's my opinion.

-brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast