PDA

View Full Version : Rpt.-Wed.-09-24-14 out of Dana Point!

Tunaslam
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Fishing Wed.-09-24-14 with Joe on his 26’ Striper “Grumpy”. We launched out of Dana Point at 7am after a few minor engine start issues were corrected. We got in line for bait with only two ahead of us. We got a healthy scoop of mixed Sardines and Mackerel. Although we had some good hook bait, many of the sardines were as big as the Mackerel? The good thing was none died on our adventure offshore.

We cleared the harbor by 7:30 am, and Joe pointed the boat toward an area that held fish on Tuesday southeast of the 209, close to the 312 (I have never heard of this bank either?)
The morning weather was extraordinary and we cruised along at around 20 knots.

Joe had the latest from Fish Dope and an interesting temp chart showing 74 to 75 degree water near this area. The harbor water temp was a chilly 67 and a mile from shore rose to over 70 degrees. Around 12 miles out, the water temps gradually increased from 71 to 73.5 degrees. At 8 miles southeast of the 209 we found 74.2 degree water and a magnificent double garage door sized Kelp Paddy, loaded with birds, and not another boat in sight.

Unfortunately it was as dry as a bone! We moved west into very sloppy seas and entered some 75 degree water for about a mile before it started dropping. Turned northeast with winds now at over 15 at 11am. The chatter on the radio was very bleak as fish reports from the 267, 277 and 209 were all poor. We also could hear chatter from the Rockpile where Yellowtail were being caught, however, the 425, 302, and 371 triangle was equally dead per those that reported? Amazing radio reception today!

We saw a few Sport boats, none of which were stopped or those that did, did so for only a few minutes. We never saw a bent rod anywhere today? During this time we found another three fantastic patties, of which only one was being fished by another boat, and all were dry. We heard one boat caught three Yellowfin Tuna and a few Dorado and another boat found a Paddy loaded with Dorado and landed 15. That was all the positive news we heard today.

At 1:30 pm Joe pointed the boat toward shore. Winds were now approaching 20 knots. The forecast had called for afternoon winds at 11 to 14. Of course being the wind magnet that I am this year, the forecasts are always on the low side compared to reality?

About 12 miles offshore, in 73.8 degree water, Joe spotted another huge Kelp Paddy, again loaded with birds. There were good marks at 40 feet. As we drifted away from the paddy, both Joe and I got bit by small 4 pound Yellowtail, at least they were bigger than the 1 to 2 pounders we have seen the last few weeks. After a small adrenalin rush from fighting a fish, we each caught one more and continued on.

Joe asked if I would like to catch a few Calico Bass for ***** and grins. I said heck yes! To this point it was a long disappointing day. We arrived at an area about a ¼ mile offshore near a huge Kelp Bed. Joe set the anchor down and despite the windy conditions, the current was running downhill into the kelp and after a little chumming of cut Dines and Mackerel, both the baitfish and Calico Bass charged the boat. Using artificial lures and some live Sardines we caught and released over 40 Calico Bass to 2 pounds. No big boys came out to play today.

It was a blast and we called it a day at 5:15 pm and headed uphill for about 45 minutes to return to the harbor by 6pm. That was an E ticket ride for sure!

We put 98 miles on the boat. Is the Fat Lady singing in Dana Point, most likely?

Thanks Joe, another fantastic effort offshore. Perhaps our last for Tuna? Lots of good fall fishing for critters ahead. Hope to share a rail with you again soon.

Hook up! Cory

bachiboy
09-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a major, long haul there Cory. Glad you guys were able to make a day of it and put a bend in the rods. The buzz around seems like this epic tuna year might be on a bit of a downward swing but there's still some fish here and there to keep some interest. Keep it up!!!

Don

murrieta angler
09-25-2014, 11:26 AM
hey Cory,
You know, as well as I, that you can't always stick some nicer grade fish..:Neutral:
Me, I would have stuck around that 74 degree area, before the 209.
Would have saved a ton of fuel and most likely would have found some Dodos. :Rolls Eyes:
At least you ended the day yanking on some bass...:Smile:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Tunaslam
09-26-2014, 02:21 PM
hey Cory,
You know, as well as I, that you can't always stick some nicer grade fish..:Neutral:
Me, I would have stuck around that 74 degree area, before the 209.
Would have saved a ton of fuel and most likely would have found some Dodos. :Rolls Eyes:
At least you ended the day yanking on some bass...:Smile:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Not in those winds!