View Full Version : Finally got my squid 2-12

02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
After 5 years of missing the squid fishing due to charter cancellations due to salmon openers,weather,squid moving out etc. etc. our little saltwater group got out of Fort Bragg on Friday after we found out our Saturday reservations were cancelled because of 20 foot swell forcasts.
We scrambled to Fort Bragg early instead of the leisurely trip we expected but we had to try. we got on the Telstar at 7:00 am and since the swells were at 13 feet and the channel from the harbor is tricky,we had a Coast Guard escort out of and later back into the harbor,that was cool and no other boats went out that day.
We went out 13 miles to a deep canyon and fished first on the north side of it at 600 feet,had a couple on but they were not grabbing on as well as they normally do and along with the difficulties of the swells and chop,most of the squid came unbuttoned before they made the surface. Like most fishing,I would go out in better conditions next time.
There were 6 of us and the crew of two fishing and we only landed 2 of the 15 that we had on for awhile.
After awhile of only a few takes and then no more action on that side of the canyon we moved to the deeper side in spite of a heavy drift. We dropped down and immediately got 4 on at the same time. Bobbie was the only one to bring one aboard.
We made 2 more drifts and the captain said one more drift and we had to go in. When he got into position and he said drop,it was 1,056 feet deep,I wasn't thrilled about the depth but figured that's what I came for. As soon as I hit bottom,it felt like a whale was on the line. I got to work and reeled for about a half hour,pumping and trying to take advantage of the swell action as much as I could. When I finally got the squid to the surface,there happened to be a school of whiteside dolphins to greet it and they seemed to be either attacking it or playing with it and it began to struggle just as I was almost out of strength.
The deckhand,Valerie,yelled to reel as fast as I could and she netted it when I got it close.
The tail end had been chewed a bit but I finally had gotten my giant squid.
Hope my son can get up here soon and get some pics up. It was rough out there and not much landed but another great day on the ocean. Beside the dolphins,we saw a small shark swim to and under the boat.

02-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like fun. I'm glad you finally got the chance to make it out and catch the squid!...Looking forward to pics:Smile:

02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah,the two we landed were a little over 30 pounds each. I just tried deep frying some strips with tempura batter and they were not good. Will soak them in milk overnight to try to purge the ammonia. If it doesn't work they will be crab bait this spring

04-06-2010, 03:38 PM
i caught a nice size one while they were hitting at newport, I soaked them overnight in BUTTERMILK and then i used flour egg and bread crumps. If you do this i will take away that salty bitter taste. I had the strips thin sliced and do not over cook because it gets really chewy. I took mine to a superbowl party and people really enjoyed it untill it got cold...

congrats on the trip sounds fun