Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Party of Three 12/9 "PB" Bean & Legal Halibut. Plus a Few Bonus Reports!

Smile Wingnut's Response...

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    Arthur,

I'm glad you were able to get down to the water this morning.......Sometimes the solo trips ar good for the soul.

You were rewarded for your efforts and Isn't it amazing how often Dana seems to have a way to say.........."I'm here, keep up the good work My Friend"

Great job with the legal hali! That makes #10 for you.......top of the leaderboard!

However, there is some good talent out there gunning for you this morning!
    I would be totally stoked if one of the guys make a last minute charge to catch me or pass me up Terry. I know that are couple of them are trying to do just that.
    Hope you are feeling better my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ptn View Post
    Awesome session Arthur! That LC colors match the smelt Cannibal smelt. I can't wait to see all the trophy winners at the end of the year I'll be chasing after my first legal surf hali tomorrow and hope you get that monster that got away.

-Peter
    Smelt eating Smelt, lol
    Thanks for the update on Sunday at your A.O. Peter.
    It's just a matter of time until you get that first legal surf Flat Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Nice session there sir!!!! Surprised that you didn't see bait. That place was plugged with bait the last couple times I went there. Glad were you able to get back to town to do some damage. Hope to fish with you tomorrow, but remember the old adage...never leave fish to find fish. Not sure what I'd do either. There is that revenge factor too. Either way ingrate on the legal and hope to see you.
    I didn't see any bait fish on Saturday and we saw very few on Sunday.
    Hope you had a nice little vacation down South there Don and thanks for the daily updates.

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hey Arthur!

First of all.......that receipt for 57......never gone!

Next.....you and your skills never stop to amaze me. WTG on the fish count in just a two hour session!
    I fished that entire AO just the other day but at the opposite tide and for only one fish (a very nice fish!).
    I didn't have a tide choice and I attacked what ever was tossed at me.

And finally.......You taught me about the importance of matching the tides to the beach and it's conditions.......
    and now you've again reminded me of the importance of that simple lesson by your amazing results.

Thank you for sharing and for your continuous guidance....I will ways grateful to you my friend....... the "Grasshopper"!

Thanx for the excellent read with pic's!
    I'll be heading back down there in the morning for another round....I hope to see you there!

SP Dan <"))><
    Dan, you are one of the most motivated and energetic angler I know. Not only that, your desire for knowledge and to excel at what we do is inspiring to us all.
    It was fun watching "stepping up" your game on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ITS NICE TO SEE YOU GOT TO GO OUT AND FISH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Thanks Bob, hope you had a nice birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Very cool "57" reminder Brotha...
    There's been a couple times I have seen it, while out and about, and I know in my heart that we will be headed to a very special place one day.
    When I received your text this morning i knew you landed something nice...
    Just when I think I am going to catch you, you pull another rabbit out of the hat.....ROAR!!!!!! oops wrong hat...
    You old timers know what I am talking about...
    I hope you tear it up again tomorrow cause I will be trying to do the same thing...
    Take Care Brotha,
    Robert
    <><
    I'm just luckier than most Roberto...
    It's going to be fun watching you & Lieutenant Bones duke it out this coming week to take the Hali count lead.
    Now that you got some well earned rest, get back out there and tear them up bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Robert were gonna have to give you the nickname of Bullwinkle

Nice short session Arthur. Your waters always seem to produce some very nice fish.

Mikey and I fish most of the day and took home 5 nice Crappie up to 15" for our efforts.

WWO
    I've been waiting all year to get the word from you and Mikey to head up there to chase the Flat ones, but the word never came...
    I hope next season will be off the hook for the Flatties.
    Nice job on the Crappies, the Fishing Yoda got that lake dialed in.

Thumbs up Bonus Report #2 - Sunday 12/16 with Da Boyz!

Bonus Report #2 - Sunday 12/16 - Encore Session with da Boyz!

Sunday morning, I decided to head back for an encore session at the A.O. where I caught a legal Halibut the day before (Saturday). This time, with reinforcements.
    Texting back & forth with Mike (Bones) and Dan (SP Dan) Saturday night, we confirm plans to meet up at grey light.
    Then I get another text late in the evening from Sokha (Troublehook), asking if he can come along wherever I was going. I said sure, pick me up at 5:00am and don't be late again... 5:10am and Sokha pulls up in his truck.

After a 45 minute drive we exit the freeway and Sokha says that his gas light came on and we need to stop for gas...
    I look at the horizon and the grey light is slowly creeping up on us. Sokha made up for his tardiness later by buying me lunch.
    We pulled up to the A.O. parking area about 10 minutes later. Lieutenant Bones was there patiently waiting for us and greeted us with a smile. Dan was already down on the beach for the pre grey light assault.

Conditions was similar to the day before, except the swells were a little bigger.
    The water quality was great, crystal clear and virtually salad free.

We spread out and hit the surf for a session that lasted from 6:15am until about 10:00am.

No legal Flatties were caught today, but we had a decent fish count.
    If my count was correct, it was something like this:
    Sokha = Mr. Stinky

Mike = (2) short Halibut
    Dan = (1) short Halibut, (2) Calico Bass
    Arthur = (2) short Halibut (1) Croaker (5) Smelt

I always have fun sharing the sand with my friends regardless of the fish count.

Mike, Dan and Sokha... Thanks for joining me for the morning session. As always, lots of laughs, stimulating conversations and the camaraderie is second to none.

Have a productive week everybody - Happy Holidays to all.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will..."

You guys look like a couple of coal miners, lol

I only took one pic of my catch today, this short Hali.

Beautiful A.O. and conditions.

Dan stepped up his game and waded out pretty far to try to reach the kelp beds.
    I'm impressed Dan, I didn't even go out that far yesterday.

Look at how clear that water was...

The extra effort earned Dan a couple of nice Calico Bass.

Mike pulled this rod holder from Dan's backpack... A rod holder? Really Dan?!?
    Mike also played a trick on me. I laid my pack on the beach and he put some rocks in it. I made the hike out of the area with my pack full of rocks.

I was wondering why my pack felt so heavy, lol. Good one Mike, but you know what they say... revenge is a b*tch.

These were hanging on Dan's backpack... fallen warriors, lol

One of Mike's short Halibut.

Sokha wearing the Skunk, lol There's always the next time bro...

This looks soooo fishy... but nobody was home.

Sokha and Dan.

Dan and Mike.

Relaxing...

Mike, is that your Man Cave? lol

Tribute to 57...

Gone with the next wave...
    Last edited by Wingnut; 12-17-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding Bonus Report.

Hi ya Arthur,

I had almost headed deep south to hook up with Robert and Don but decided to stay local.
    I was so excited the night before, it was like I was checking every detail and getting ready for the BIG event to happen.
    So I head to bed and I can't get to sleep....what did I forget??? Does my lure have red painted gills???? I throw my robe on and head down stairs to my garage.
    OH NOOOOOO!!... NO RED PAINTED GILLS!!! I bust out the red fingernail polish and painted up the lure's gills......Ok...my gear is 100% ready for tomorrow's assault and now I can get some sleep!
    0400 hrs my alarm goes off and I live a whole whopping 10 minutes away from the AO. I took my time getting there and it's 0500 hrs now. I did the 1/4 mile hike down to the AO with my head lamp on, and my feet are wet at 0530 hrs and sunrise isn't until 0650 hrs. .
    So I commenced fishing in the dark with just a head lamp for light! Just after 0615 hrs I spotted tiny head lights working there way down the cliff face in my direction.....WHY...it's the three amigos!

So for the first hour ....not as much as a nibble! But as soon as the BOYZ put there feet on the beach.... it fish on for me...I landed my skunk buster...a Checker side!
    A 13" Calico Bass. 10 minutes later....BANG a 15 1/2" Calico, and then in less than an hour

....I get a hit that's doing the head shaking mombo...a lil' 17 1/4" hali!

I had the best time fishing and visiting with you Arthur, Mike and Sokha! You guys are the best!

Thanks guys....you made my day!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 12-17-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Adding photos as requested. correct spelling

Arthur, congrats on your 10th legal and another amazing day of fishing! A legal and 3 quality shorts in two hour is more than a surf fisherman could ask for Also, that 20" smelt is ridiculous. I wasn't aware that they can get that big.
    Glad you got to spend another nice day hitting that AO with the Boyz.

Dan, those are some nice calicos! I am on the hunt to catch one of those checkered beasts. I see that you were way out there trying to hit the kelp... I might have to give that a shot next time and see if I can get some love.

Thanks for the report Arthur.. it keeps me itching to get back out there... I finally get to head out this Thursday.

Thien

Congratulations on another legal halibut and a couple more successful outings!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the leader board results at the end of the year.
    Congrats on the calicos, Dan! I'm really liking your fallen warriors keychain
    I bet each on has a story to tell.
    Thanks for the report and happy holidays!

-Daniel

This photo is so cool.
    Merry Christmas to all my S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters.

Nice going out there guys! Looks like some sweet conditions. Too bad the bigger models didn't come out and play.

I had almost headed deep south to hook up with Robert and Don but decided to stay local.
    Glad you guys all decided to stay away from where I was. I kept looking over my shoulder wondering if you guys would pop up, but Robert got some well needed shuteye, you guys got some great conditions, a couple checkers and some pancakes...I got soaked for a few perch. Pretty rough surf that day, but WAY nicer on Monday. Just wish it woulda gave me another crack at the surf on Tuesday, but weather was not cooperating.

Hope you all have a great holiday!!!
    Don

After the WEEK I had TODAY, yea I wrote it that way.... It sure was fun to see my Bromigo's getting their feet wet.

I miss the beach. Thanks for letting me dream of clear water and no pressure.

WWO

Smile Wingnut's Response...

Hi ya Arthur,

I was so excited the night before, it was like I was checking every detail and getting ready for the BIG event to happen.
    So I head to bed and I can't get to sleep....what did I forget??? Does my lure have red painted gills???? I throw my robe on and head down stairs to my garage.
    OH NOOOOOO!!... NO RED PAINTED GILLS!!! I bust out the red fingernail polish and painted up the lure's gills......Ok...my gear is 100% ready for tomorrow's assault and now I can get some sleep!
    0400 hrs my alarm goes off and I live a whole whopping 10 minutes away from the AO. I took my time getting there and it's 0500 hrs now. I did the 1/4 mile hike down to the AO with my head lamp on, and my feet are wet at 0530 hrs and sunrise isn't until 0650 hrs. .
    So I commenced fishing in the dark with just a head lamp for light! Just after 0615 hrs I spotted tiny head lights working there way down the cliff face in my direction.....WHY...it's the three amigos!

So for the first hour ....not as much as a nibble! But as soon as the BOYZ put there feet on the beach.... it fish on for me...I landed my skunk buster...a Checker side!
    A 13" Calico Bass. 10 minutes later....BANG a 15 1/2" Calico, and then in less than an hour

....I get a hit that's doing the head shaking mombo...a lil' 17 1/4" hali!

I had the best time fishing and visiting with you Arthur, Mike and Sokha! You guys are the best!

Thanks guys....you made my day!

SP Dan <"))><
    Brother Dan, really enjoyed fishing with you last Sunday. You are one of those truly genuinely nice guy that I am proud to say is my friend. Don't ever change!
    Have a great vacation with Rhonda and Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bloox8 View Post
    Arthur, congrats on your 10th legal and another amazing day of fishing! A legal and 3 quality shorts in two hour is more than a surf fisherman could ask for Also, that 20" smelt is ridiculous. I wasn't aware that they can get that big.
    Glad you got to spend another nice day hitting that AO with the Boyz.

Dan, those are some nice calicos! I am on the hunt to catch one of those checkered beasts. I see that you were way out there trying to hit the kelp... I might have to give that a shot next time and see if I can get some love.

Thanks for the report Arthur.. it keeps me itching to get back out there... I finally get to head out this Thursday.

Thien
    I added to that total this morning, thanks to YOU Thien.
    After the Holidays, I'm going to take you to our Calico surf hunting grounds and try to put you on your first surf Calico.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoo312 View Post
    Congratulations on another legal halibut and a couple more successful outings!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the leader board results at the end of the year.
    Congrats on the calicos, Dan! I'm really liking your fallen warriors keychain
    I bet each on has a story to tell.
    Thanks for the report and happy holidays!

-Daniel
    Daniel, don't let Thien get too far ahead of you in the fish count...
    Keep an eye out for a package coming to you in the mail.
    Merry Christmas buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    This photo is so cool.
    Merry Christmas to all my S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters.

Thanks Phuong, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Nice going out there guys! Looks like some sweet conditions. Too bad the bigger models didn't come out and play.

Glad you guys all decided to stay away from where I was. I kept looking over my shoulder wondering if you guys would pop up, but Robert got some well needed shuteye, you guys got some great conditions, a couple checkers and some pancakes...I got soaked for a few perch. Pretty rough surf that day, but WAY nicer on Monday. Just wish it woulda gave me another crack at the surf on Tuesday, but weather was not cooperating.

Hope you all have a great holiday!!!
    Don
    Thanks Don, conditions was good, fishing was okay, the company was the best!
    Glad that you were able to get out and fish during your little vacation.
    Merry Christmas and congrats on the "good news" you shared with me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    After the WEEK I had TODAY, yea I wrote it that way.... It sure was fun to see my Bromigo's getting their feet wet.

I miss the beach. Thanks for letting me dream of clear water and no pressure.

WWO
    Stop chasing Crappies and hit the surf bill, lol
    Hope your first Christmas in the new place is going well...
    Merry Christmas to you and Noriko.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 12-22-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Adding Replies...

Thumbs up Bonus Report #3. Taking Advantage of Good Intel.

Bonus Report #3 -Saturday 12/22/12

2-Hour Grey Light Mission. Taking Advantage of Good Intel.

The World didn't end... I'm going fishing!

I got a text from Thien (bloox8) yesterday, giving me a complete rundown of his solo mission where he caught multiple Halibut, including TWO legals.

I haven't been to this A.O. in about two years... to be honest, it's on my list of one of the most undesirable places to surf fish.
    But what do you do when you receive reliable and solid intel on the enemy position...? You put it to good use! Sometimes, you have to follow the enemy to the most atrocious of battlefields, to claim victory.

So Mike (Lieutenant Bones) and I decided to drop into this polluted surf zone at grey light to terrorize its toxic residents. Making sure that we put on our special hazmat waders, lol
    I have to work today, so we could only fish from 6:00am to 8:30am. A short, but successful mission.

The intel was right on. Clear water with no weeds, a few floating oil slick here and there, minimal surf, high tide at grey light receding rapidly, light bait fish presence. A long and wide 3-4 ft deep trough running along a 300 yards section of beach. Look fishy enough... weapons free, engage.

Overall, it was actually a pretty slow morning. The highlight for me was nailing a barely legal 22" Halibut... unhooking and releasing it... then the very next cast, nail a 24" legal Halibut. Two casts, two legals, gotta love that. Both released.

Final fish count: Two legals and a short in a 2 1/2 hour session, not bad at all.

Thien (bloox8), thanks for the great intel soldier!
    I'm trying to clear some stuff off my Sunday schedule, so hopefully, I will see you tomorrow morning.

Mike, I apologize for being a Fishing Mojo Sucking Vampire...
    But I did let you fish ahead of me and hit all the holes first... lol

Merry Christmas to all... may Santa brings you everything on your wish list.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"Never let the things you want, make you forget the things you already have."

I'm geared up and ready to go... waiting for Mike as usual, lol

Hurry up Mike, grey light is coming...

First legal Hali.

Second legal Hali.

A short Hali right before we left.

Check out this custom Barred Surf Perch LC that the LC "Artist" just finished for me... one of a kind, WOW.

See the rest of his work on my LC Modifying Thread.

Last Tuesday on my way out of town, I stop to get gas on the way to the airport.
    The pump was running and clicked off automatically when the tank was full. I reach for the handle and was about to squeeze the lever to top off, then I saw the total when the pump stopped.

Hello again Dana...

Last edited by Wingnut; 12-22-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Adding Bonus Report.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast