Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

I'm with ya Couesdeer77!!! I remember catching 9 fish limits, well in excess of 100lbs. I remember getting spooled on spinning outfits. I remember wading out to chest deep water, and having 20lb Corvina boiling all around me and swimming through my legs. The last Corvina that i caught was 16lbs. I caught it on a swimbait. That swimbait hangs on the wall in my garage. Without question, the best fishing i have ever experienced,was at the Salton Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    These were the good old days and the good eating fish in the salton Sea, before it died. The last pic is the last year there were corvina in the sea. The largest I caight was 33.5 pounds

Man those were the days. We will never see it again.

Take care
    couesdeer77
    The last pic is the last year there were corvina in the sea.

What year was that ?

Thanks for the great pics
    DR

I taught someone posted recently of a ranger stating that someone had caught one very recently
    -bb

[QUOTE=blackberg;562601]I
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-18-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Back in 2008 an older gentleman fishing Bombay Beach had a heart attack. I think it was Calipatria first responders who got there to aid the old man. One of the first responders was a long-time resident of Imperial Valley....and he looked in the old man's ice chest for something....he saw a few corvina in there....small ones....

I heard from a local farmer that there was some lady fishing Desert Shores back in 2009...she had caught a tilapia(no big deal)but as she was reeling it in, something got the tilapia and snapped her line.

These stories are no bull.

The times that I've fished Obsidian, I've seen(once in a while)something startle a school of very small tilapia in about 6 feet of water...

I, personally have never experienced the corvina rage...but Have I heard the amazing stories from long time Salton Sea Fishermen....Everybody loved the Sargo, Croaker, mullet, and of course the Corvina....

The only problem with these stories is that there are no pictures to document any of these catches....one of these days...

I've heard that there really hasn't been any plans from the state to "plant" any corvina into the Salton Sea. I doubt that that'll happen...at least not at this time!

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    I taught someone posted recently of a ranger stating that someone had caught one very recently
    -bb
    ya that was me. I was talking to him after he checked my licence. He stated Someone had caught one a few weeks back and he was surprised because he thought they where all gones.

[QUOTE=Fisher;562712]Back in 2008 an
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 04:16 PM.

[QUOTE=DockRat;562568][
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    Looking at the age of my son I would say 2001 or 2002.
    Thanks, I was down there 1996 to 2000 and guys said they were all gone.
    You never know what to believe, but pics don't lie.

It is pretty amazing that this country with all of our restrictions on pollution just turn a blind eye to Mexico and let them dump RAW SEWAGE and INDUSTRIAL WASTE in to a river that starts in the middle of city of almost a million.

Then let it flow over the border into the USA and pollute a once great fishery.
    Also we never dumped enough fresh water in it to keep the salt levels in the Sea from rising.

Found some old pics of when people used to flock down there.

Salton City 500 1963

Calipatria Waiting for relief checks Calipatria, CA 1935
    Photo by Dorothea Lange - hired by the Govt to document the plight of the dust bowl refugees in the Imperial Valley -Salton Sea area).

SLAB CITY

Welcome Snowbirds and Slabbers of all ages, this is the official Slab City website. Slab City is a free RV oasis located in the desert southwest near Niland, California. We are an organization dedicated to the clean-up and preservation of Slab City. We have assembled vital information for our registered members about Slab City and the surrounding community on our website. Such items include local maps, 24-hour weather conditions, and RV services. This website also contains the only known "Slab City Search Engine" to look up items of interest, and we have an extensive online library of Slab City video clips and photographs on display. The Slab City Organization is privately funded and relies upon donations from members to operate. Slab City needs your help! Most people agree that Slab City is a great place stay for the winter. The only problem is the the trash. Too many years of ignoring the problem has only made things worse. Our efforts to increase awareness about the illegal dumping are finally beginning to pay off. Word is quickly spreading that people are now on the lookout for illegal dumping activities. One or two people speaking out against the trash problem will unfortunately do little good. But collectively, we can all send a strong message together that it's time for the litterbugs to learn some new habits. The Slab City Organization was created for pro-active folks, like you, who want to see a change. Together, let's put an end to the senseless littering that takes place in our desert

http://www.slabcity.org/

I can't remember the year exactly, but the Salton Sea Corvina bite was dead for several years in the 90's. Then there was a report that some were being caught at North Shore. Sure enough, they were back. My son was 5 years old at the time and he was able to catch a few Corvina to 5lbs. I'd fish the rocks off the Yacht club, and i caught them using swimbaits up to 18lbs. This bite lasted a few more years, then it was over again. Sadly, this time, for good.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast