Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC story

Default LC story

I always feel hopeful and a little worried when tying a brand new LC on and tossing it into a favorite rocky hole. The LC, the conditions, the bait schools – all looked nice today, low tide on my lunch break and rock structure was close but still 3-4 ft deep in a nice trough. Sure enough after few casts I hook a very nice fish (either legal hali or ?) and 10 seconds later it breaks off ..with MY NEW LC. I would have waded to any structure and depth to save it (as many times before) but this one is gone.

I tie another one and continue crisscrossing the hole with casts and they were active : I landed 4 halis, but all short. At one point an 18-20” model jumped right at me landing a couple feet away from my knees.
    A couple ladies strolled down the beach as I was landing one shorty. They stopped, asked questions while I unhooked my LC and then I asked: “would you like to release this one?” I think it’s the most fun part to of the whole experience. One seemed excited, palming it like sandwich with two hands and placing in shallow water. So maybe it was not a bad day after all.

But wait, 10 min later as I was about to go, the same lady comes to me (back from beach stroll) with MY LOST LC in her hand “Is this yours?”. I presumed hali shook it out and it floated to the beach, 2 hooks badly bent. "YEAH- THANK you!" I did not take pictures but had to post this. Oh, and on my last cast I hooked up with what I though was another hali but turned out to be a DD BSP- healthy and fat cruising around rocks.

Have fun out there and don’t get frustrated, things can work out.

Very nice read Bro!!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Robert
    <><

Awesome read, glad you got the LC back

Great post, thanks!

That's fantastic, the kind of read that makes you realize humanity might not be so bad afterall :) WTG on that lady for saving you 20 bucks!

Also, sounds like you had a great session. I just scoped out a new hole on the ol' google earth that I'm itching to hit, and this post has inspired me to go get at it!

Thanks.

Great read....Man I gotta get back on the sand. Thanks for the inspiration!

That's a great story. What is the consensus of the forum regarding the hooks on LC's? You mentioned yours were bent (good thing - you got your lure back!). I've looked at mine and pondered - swap them out for something more robust (Owners) or risk jacking up the action on the lure?

I've rejuvenated my old LCs with new Gamakatsu #6 trebles (like the brand and how sharp they stay), but they seem a bit lighter and the LC does not seem to move as deep and wiggle as consistently as with heavier hooks.
    Maybe fish don't care (hooked them on both setups) and I just enjoy it more myself when the lure pushes trough heavier resistance of deeper water. With new LCs I'm too lazy to make changes. I did bend a couple hooks with my pliers rushing on quick removal and release too, can't blame it all on snags and fish (esp the responsible ones that return LCs after playing with them).

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    That's a great story. What is the consensus of the forum regarding the hooks on LC's? You mentioned yours were bent (good thing - you got your lure back!). I've looked at mine and pondered - swap them out for something more robust (Owners) or risk jacking up the action on the lure?
    IMHO the only hook you should use for a replacement hook on the flash minnow is the size 6 Owner ST-46TN. Sharp as heck..... Tin plated to be corrosion resistant and 2x strong. They wont negatively affect the action of your lure in any way. They weigh the same as the hooks that the lure comes with. Always wash off your lure after a session as normal protocol to minimize rust that will attack your barbs for sure.
    Last edited by bones; 04-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Nice! Took the chance to show someone something new and the fishing gods repaid you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast