Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Lake Skinner

Default Poor Lake Skinner

What has happened to the place? I've been fishing this lake for over a decade on a regular basis and this is the longest slow spell I've ever seen. Last year at this time I caught a bunch of 4-8 pound Largemouth bass, and stripers were a bit slow, but catchable. This last couple months have been not only slow, but odd. The usual dawn bite in white water at the inlet is no more. Reaction baits for largemouth aren't doing their usual magic. Yes, there are a few exceptions here and there, but as I said I've been a student of the place for quite a while. Talking with other regulars they agree it's spooky. It all started with the absence of the shad spawn and accompanying striper blitz last October. Every day a dozen boats would line up in the east end waiting with their topwaters and swimbaits. Even the Pelicans and gulls would line the shores. Nada. Yes we could catch some fish, but nothing like years past. After a week or so even the birds went to DVL or someplace else.

Maybe I'm just bored by staying home instead of grinding it out on the no man's land, but thought I'd share my frustration.

How are the bait and wait guys doing??

I totally agree with you Pat. I would think that the fish would be chasing baitfish and be more aggressive right now. Skinner had a few moments back in April / May, but June and July were really slow. Usually this time of year, the fish were eay to catch trolling and hitting the tullies. It is like they are not there anymore and were taken out of the lake.

Default So Weird!

I thought I was imagining the lack of action. Glad to read that others are experiencing the same weird behavior of the lake. Hopefully, someone will chime in with a reasonable explanation.

Yah. We can't blame the water level since it's been consistent for months, there's no real algae bloom. The only thing I can think of is the big increase in largemouth tournaments this year, but that shouldn't affect the striper bite.

Just wondering if any possibility the introduction of the larger shad variety of Gizzard Shad could be having a negative impact and we are starting to see the results? Not suggesting this is the case, just inquiring. Kwin, if you are following this thread, any input on what's going on with Skinner ?
    Thanks in advance!

DFW will point to electro shocking and people reporting catches to say, "It's all good, nothing to see here." It seems anecdotal evidence from anglers who spend more time on the water than their biologists doesn't really hold any water.

(It's like the example of Castaic Lake being a trophy largemouth fishery through the early 90s, being reduced to what it is now. They claim the lake really hasn't changed, and the mass influx of stripers had nothing to do with the downturn. They will say low water years may be to blame, even tho Castaic fluctuated heavily during the same time period those big catches were coming.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Seeker View Post
    Just wondering if any possibility the introduction of the larger shad variety of Gizzard Shad could be having a negative impact and we are starting to see the results? Not suggesting this is the case, just inquiring. Kwin, if you are following this thread, any input on what's going on with Skinner ?
    Thanks in advance!
    IMO, from what I have seen, the lake appears to be forage limited and recruitment limited due to the effects of quagga mussels, gizzard shad and severe long term drawdowns. My last few electrofishing surveys have resulted in very little in the way of forage (bluegill, small bass, shad or silverside) or evidence of recruitment. It's been nearly all adult fish or forage too big to eaten (14-18" Gizzards). 2021 creel surveys show catch rates are about middle of the road for the lake but that's just "catchables". That said, the fishery isn't what I would call "healthy" at the moment.
    Last edited by kwin; 08-22-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Kwin, Thank you for the info and your assessment of the situation there.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    IMO, from what I have seen, the lake appears to be forage limited and recruitment limited due to the effects of quagga mussels, gizzard shad and severe long term drawdowns. My last few electrofishing surveys have resulted in very little in the way of forage (bluegill, small bass, shad or silverside) or evidence of recruitment. It's been nearly all adult fish or forage too big to eaten (14-18" Gizzards). 2021 creel surveys show catch rates are about middle of the road for the lake but that's just "catchables". That said, the fishery isn't what I would call "healthy" at the moment.
    DFW have any measures to turn this around, or is this one of the 'stages' that lakes go through where we wish for a better fishery in the future, without nothing being done to get it there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast