Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over-night fishing trip & lingcod advice

Default Over-night fishing trip & lingcod advice

Hi all! o/

I'm going to be heading out on an over-night fishing trip for the first time this weekend, and I'd just like some advice about what to bring, what to wear, how much cash I should have, and anything else a relatively inexperienced fisher-woman might need.

Additionally, I'm planning on targeting lingcod (which is currently my goal fish to catch) so if you've got any tackle advice as well, that would be great! Current first set up is 30lb test mono with 2/0's and 4/0's and a 8-10oz torpedo, and my second is 65lb test braid with 7/0's and a 10-12oz topedo. Not sure the lings will be big enough that the second will be necessary, but hope springs eternal haha. If I'm totally off-base here with what I should have... well, better to find out anonymously I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLing View Post
    Hi all! o/

I'm going to be heading out on an over-night fishing trip for the first time this weekend, and I'd just like some advice about what to bring, what to wear, how much cash I should have, and anything else a relatively inexperienced fisher-woman might need.

Additionally, I'm planning on targeting lingcod (which is currently my goal fish to catch) so if you've got any tackle advice as well, that would be great! Current first set up is 30lb test mono with 2/0's and 4/0's and a 8-10oz torpedo, and my second is 65lb test braid with 7/0's and a 10-12oz topedo. Not sure the lings will be big enough that the second will be necessary, but hope springs eternal haha. If I'm totally off-base here with what I should have... well, better to find out anonymously I guess.
    First question we need to know is which Boat? If it's a local boat going to San Nick, you should try X. If it's an overnighter up North, (CISCO) you should try this??

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    First question we need to know is which Boat? If it's a local boat going to San Nick, you should try X. If it's an overnighter up North, (CISCO) you should try this??
    It's going to be at CISCO!

Oh, also I know the boat will be providing bait but I was planning on bringing some sabikis to pick up some live mackerel. Is that worth it for lings? Or should I just save time and use whatever bait they've got, live or dead?

Oh, also I know the boat will be providing bait but I was planning on bringing some sabikis to pick up some live mackerel. Is that worth it for lings? Or should I just save time and use whatever bait they've got, live or dead?
    Are you clairvoyant? lol The problem is up North (CISCO) live bait is not always a sure thing. They do quite well with cut squid for all sorts of critters. (but not necessarily great for Ling cod) So do bring the Sabki's for Mackerel or San Dab's for Ling Cod bait. If you talk to the crew before you leave and tell them you want Ling cod over the critters. They can also steer you in the right direction.

Are you clairvoyant? lol The problem is up North (CISCO) live bait is not always a sure thing. They do quite well with cut squid for all sorts of critters. (but not necessarily great for Ling cod) So do bring the Sabki's for Mackerel or San Dab's for Ling Cod bait. If you talk to the crew before you leave and tell them you want Ling cod over the critters. They can also steer you in the right direction.
    Hahaha well if I was, then catching lings might be *too* easy! No, I just prefer live bait and I figured they might not have any; I'm more of a regular in Marina del Rey and it's been kind of scarce there as well. I am hoping for sand dabs honestly, but I don't know if we'll be stopping in a sandy enough area to pick them up, hence why I'm prepping for mackerel. I hadn't considered just telling the crew what I'm after for some reason, but I suppose they would know better than anyone what's more likely to bring in some ling cod! Do you know much about CISCO's boats? I'm going on the Pacific Islander. Would they be willing/able to accommodate any live bait I want to store for myself, or should I bring a bucket? Also, do you know how much cash I should bring, and what's a normal tip for the crew? I reeeeally hate not knowing things. >.<

OH, and for my rigs I'm planning on using some swivels to connect my braid to some 40lb mono, is that alright? Or should I ditch the swivels and just directly attach the braid to the mono?

Hahaha well if I was, then catching lings might be *too* easy! No, I just prefer live bait and I figured they might not have any; I'm more of a regular in Marina del Rey and it's been kind of scarce there as well. I am hoping for sand dabs honestly, but I don't know if we'll be stopping in a sandy enough area to pick them up, hence why I'm prepping for mackerel. I hadn't considered just telling the crew what I'm after for some reason, but I suppose they would know better than anyone what's more likely to bring in some ling cod! Do you know much about CISCO's boats? I'm going on the Pacific Islander. Would they be willing/able to accommodate any live bait I want to store for myself, or should I bring a bucket? Also, do you know how much cash I should bring, and what's a normal tip for the crew? I reeeeally hate not knowing things. >.<
    Live Bait in a bucket?? Plan on bringing some Octopus??? lol (their great Ling cod bait) Other wise if they have the bait tanks on, put your bait in there. If their not on, your sort of out of luck in keeping live bait alive. (dead bait in a bucket still works) Tips are easy. Pay for your fish cleaning and anything else you feel they deserve. I've never seen anyone blink an eye for not paying enough or for overpaying. So you can't go wrong!!!

Live Bait in a bucket?? Plan on bringing some Octopus??? lol (their great Ling cod bait) Other wise if they have the bait tanks on, put your bait in there. If their not on, your sort of out of luck in keeping live bait alive. (dead bait in a bucket still works) Tips are easy. Pay for your fish cleaning and anything else you feel they deserve. I've never seen anyone blink an eye for not paying enough or for overpaying. So you can't go wrong!!!
    "Bucket"
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...8?recordNum=13

No octopus this time, they're a smidge too wily for me! I'll file that knowledge away for the future though, should I ever drag a poor octopus out of the briny depths. Yeahhhh it would be unfortunate if the bait tanks aren't on, but freshly dead bait is still better than freshly frozen dead bait, no? And ok, that sounds do-able.

just look up the website for the place you are gonna go rent the boat they should have the depth that you are going to go fish and will recommend what weights to bring for that trip. last time i went we had to use 1 lb sinkers just to keep the bait down but we were also 300 feet deep in a strong current. i just used the provided bait from the ship. they usually just have squids and cut them to band aid size strips and that is basically all you need. if you buy bait just buy your own squid and if you want chance of bigger fish you can put full squid on bigger hook. we were using like 3/0 circle hooks also. the ship site should tell you what they recommend also. the thing about a ling. is usually those are like the special ones when you go rockfishing. i got two last time out of like 15 fish that i caught before we had our limit. but a lot of people didnt have any. just make sure you do the double dropper loop set up and haeve one bait like 1-2 foot off bottom and one like 4-5 foot. so you can double up and hopefully you can get a ling. but ya lingcods and sheepshead are like the rare ones of the trip. not everyone gets one. but there is lots of rockfish near them is why. a good lure for them is just the big hunk of metal ones you can buy at the tackle shop like 10-15 bux each. or any big metal bucktail type lure. but those get expensive to lose if you get hung up on the rocks where those fish tend to be. so the weight and the hook method is the cheapest to lose when you are going for them. when you get on the ship though they will ask if you want to pitch in on the pool prob like 10 bux say yes incase you catch the biggest fish then your trip is free. also i just used a rented pole and it had like 25lb mono and it was all thats was needed an we went far out(overnight) for the bigger fish.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast