Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need tips on how to be a better fisherman

Default I need tips on how to be a better fisherman

Well ive been fishing for a couple of years now but ive always baitfished. I am now trying to start fishing using lures because it seems more exciting and challenging. I mostly fish at jetties and piers and occasionally go to some lakes. Can sombody please give me some tips on how to start this new style of fishing and what i would need. I need to know what lures work best what kind of fishing rod and reel i would need etc
    please try to be specific -thanks

what kind of lures are you wantin to use? crankbaits? soft plastics?

Crankbaits but i would give softplastics a try too

get a rod made specifically with crankbaits, or something with a moderate to moderate fast taper. When setting the hook, instead of swinging, just let the rod load up and then pull back a little and give a firm 2 revolutions on the reel to set the hook.

Fishing reel is all personal preference, i like slower reels for cranksbaits in the 5.x:1 area.

For soft plastics, i like an 8-17lbs rod with fast taper paired with a 7.x:1 gear ratio reel. The crankbait rod would work for this technique too, but when you set the hook, you'd need to swing for the fences to make up for the moderate taper.

Thanks alot man i appreciate the tips
    which crankbait works best for you?

i've caught fish on both lucky craft flash minnow 110's, and the daiwa minnow sp13's

however, i now use more of the daiwa minnows as theyre only $7 each, compared to the $15 each the LC's are.

For freshwater, the megabait charlie soft crankbaits have done me well.

Patience and plenty of beer.

Seriously though...that is such a broad question that can have a thousand different answers depending on what you're fishing for.
    My advice would be to start by researching the internet. There are countless websites that teach different techniques for each specific species of fish. For example, Google "How to fish for largemouth bass" and you'll have a weeks worth of reading.
    Once you've narrowed that down...it would be much easier for answers to your questions here.

IMO using plastic worms is a great bait to start with. I've caught many fish (bass) on plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge323 View Post
    Crankbaits but i would give softplastics a try too

Roboworms for freshwater (LMB) and Big Hammers for the salt (spotties).

I'm not big on hardbaits but I do throw out an occasional suspended jerkbait (perch pattern) which give me good results for bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraPeaks View Post
    Patience and plenty of beer...
    ^^^ this too.

Thanks smokinflies sounds like ill try that to start off

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge323 View Post
    Thanks smokinflies sounds like ill try that to start off
    No problem.

Check you inbox.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast