Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: LC Lures Question

Default LC Lures Question

I have 3 LC surf questions:

1. Do you guys use the CIF surf pointer or the CIF flash minnow series?

2. What's the difference between the two actions?

3. Can a freshwater flash minnow mimic the same action? (I'm assuming the saltwater series is less corrosive)

Remember, there are no 'dumb' questions...I'm on my lunch hour brainstorming

Thanks!!

MM

1. Do you guys use the CIF surf pointer or the CIF flash minnow series?
    I use both.

2. What's the difference between the two actions?
    The surf pointer casts farther and runs slightly deeper but I like the rolling action better on the flash minnow.

3. Can a freshwater flash minnow mimic the same action? (I'm assuming the saltwater series is less corrosive)
    Yes, that's how the whole thing started, guys changed out the hooks on the freshwater versions.

PS. the LC is more about covering a lot of water, if you get the bait in front of fish you will get bit. I use several other hard baits in specific situations too.

one distinction I think worth pointing out - the flash minnow suspends where as the pointer is technically a sinking bait.

I haven't fished the pointers, but I've had some good results with the flash minnow.

Perhaps it is just and angler's fantasy, but I believe that the suspending nature of flash minnows makes them a superior bait for working the surf. It has been my experience that often times during the retrieve wave action moves the bait and causes slack in the line. Instead of sinking (or floating) when the line goes slack, the flash minnow suspends and kinda wobbles and sways with the current the way a disoriented bait fish (in my mind) would. I have absolutely no scientific data to back this up, but I like that bait quite a lot (and I hate most things that get over-hyped)

Personally, my LC strategy is all about numbers - lot's of casts and complete coverage of a spot.

dang... now I'm all worked up to fish.

Appreciate the replies...interesting read

The LC Flash Minnow suspends 2FT
    The LC Flash pointer suspends more, I believe its 2-6FT or so (it has a bigger lip and usually it says how much on the little sticker on the back/front of the package)
    Both are effective, you just have to choose which works best for the beach that you are fishing.
    Personally I use the LC FM110, the action it has mimics a baitfish perfectly and I have landed a number of legals on it.
    When it comes to the corrosiveness of it, I havent found the freshwater LC's to be much different than the saltwater LC's, the only thing I do advise is to change the hooks on it to some that are stronger. Remember, once you start fishing the LC, you're starting to target big fish (although medium size still bite it) We're talking about big Calico's, Halibut, Big Perch, White Sea Bass, etc. There will be that one time where you hook up to something big and it will bend a hook for sure if you dont play the drag correctly. (It's happened to countless of people)

Good luck out there.

110 series flash minnow only. It casts the best. Assuming you are fishing from the sand you don't need anything that dives any more than three feet. The black chrome hooks on the fresh water lures SUCK and won't last at all. Your barbs will rust out super fast. Buy the saltwater series in the blue package. If you like some of the fresh water patterns that is fine just swap the hooks out to the size 6 owner ST-46TN 2x hooks which are slightly stronger than the stock hooks and are corrosion resistant.TN stands for tin plated. One more thing...when buying any SW series lucky craft you will notice one distinct series called the MS series. MS stands for "Missing scale" which is a far more durable finish on the bait itself and it will last a lot longer in the salt water environment. MS anchovy is a great beginners pattern for example but there are many MS series saltwater baits. Look up an ebay seller for 110 series flash minnows called Ilovehardbaits. They have a great selection but I would also talk with your local tackle shop and try your best to get them to bring the bait you want in. I personally buy most of my lucky crafts from my local tackle shop Bob Sands fishing tackle to give him the support he needs. I don't mind spending a few more dollars for a bait.
    Last edited by bones; 08-17-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Wow! More comments? I really appreciate it! Thanks bones for the hook & lucky craft series info. I'm a desert dweller but the Oxnard & Pt. Mugu
    are about 2 hours away. Again, thanks!

MM

flashminnow 110 candy sardine is my favorite. caught my pb halibut on it 34inches

CIF Flashminnow 110 in MS Ghost Minnow. You can throw some red hooks on it for some flash but not necessary. It's my go to pattern and has been absolutely deadly for me