Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Cooler Livewell

Hang em high and watch em DRY !

Everybody on this site now has a smart *** cliche thing to say. Is there anybody out there that wants to respond INTELLIGENTLY to my questions?

I usually just put trout in the livewell. Most of them if not all of them end up dying after a few hours.

I think the cats are the only one likely to survive.
    Trout, and stripers don't do well on a stringer.
    Trout don't do well in a basket, not sure how well stripers hold up in baskets.
    You are better off just putting them on ice.

KP

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    So if I catch a trout in my bass boat at DVL, I can't put it in my live well? I have to kill it right away? This doesn't seem logical to me.
    Its not very logical to the average angler, but they have been used as live bait.
    So now we all have to suffer. Kill em when Ya get one in the boat.. Then throw it in the live well (or on ice) to keep it little fresher??? But it must be DEAD....

Live well can be used while on the water for other fish, But do Not get caught transporting them LIVE from the lake or body of water where caught.. Big Fine....!!!!

This is a good example of the thinking (or non thinking ~ uneducated or just criminal mind set) that ends up costing us all in the long run..
    This is telling the man to break the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    I usually just put trout in the livewell. Most of them if not all of them end up dying after a few hours.

Last edited by Nessie Hunter; 04-25-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    Its not very logical to the average angler, but they have been used as live bait.
    So now we all have to suffer. Kill em when Ya get one in the boat.. Then throw it in the live well (or on ice) to keep it little fresher??? But it must be DEAD....

Live well can be used while on the water for other fish, But do Not get caught transporting them LIVE from the lake or body of water where caught.. Big Fine....!!!!

This is a good example of the thinking (or non thinking ~ uneducated or just criminal mind set) that ends up costing us all in the long run..
    This is telling the man to break the law.

Thanks for the response. So long story short, I might as well not spend $150-200 on a portable cooler livewell and jsut throw them in an ice chest on ice?

I'd like to hear from other people that don't have a livewell on their boat and what they do with the catfish and striper they keep?

Clean them at the lake as most lakes have a fish cleaning station and as others have said put 'em on ice.

TS

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Clean them at the lake as most lakes have a fish cleaning station and as others have said put 'em on ice.

TS
    TS, my "home" lake is DVL. So can't really clean there due to you know why

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Everybody on this site now has a smart *** cliche thing to say. Is there anybody out there that wants to respond INTELLIGENTLY to my questions?
    You know you should really try to not be offended by the advice people are trying to give you here, take this example for instance:
    Your catching trout at the lake, get ready to head home and get met up by DFG at the ramp, they ask to see your catch and some of those trout are still alive, they then confisgate your boat, gear and hand you a nice hefty fine, you say "I didnt know that wasnt allowed" they say thats not a good enough excuse.

Its all in how you take it, you can see it as they are accusing you of criminal intentions or just take it for what it is, good advice.

As to your original question which I'm sure your tierd of everyone avoiding it, I have never used this kit but I do know that you can make your own, I'm not sure if you are going to use it recurculate water in the cooler or if you plan on pumping in fresh lake water and using some sort of overflow drain to keep the fish in constant fresh water. Either way I made a bait tank for my dads boat out of a trash can which was dirt cheap, but the pump I got at walmart was only like 15 bucks and I spent maybe another 15 on hoses and clamps from homedepot. I guess this would be much easier so it cost a little more, but like I was saying, this looks like it only recurculates water already in the tank, the one I made was a bait tank so it contantly brings in fresh lake or sea water and has an overflow to self drain before overfilling. I would think that using constant fresh water in the tank would keep any fish alive longer but it will ultimately come down to the amount of oxygen the fish consumes if it will survive in a recurculating system, by the way recurculation is how all aquariums produce oxygen for the fish in it so technically should work to a degree. Hope this helps.

Surfnsnow,

DVL is my home lake too. I too have to use the cooler too. I usually take 2 coolers since I have my 4 year old son with me, to store food and drinks. I keep 2 bags of ice in 1 cooler, and the other one I use for storage of the fish. Usually I fill the cooler with water to let my son look at the fish for awhile (usually LMB) then I release the fish unharmed. When I do catch stripers, I throw the extra bag of ice in cooler and toss the stripers on top of the ice. I want to convert the the cooler into a livewell (for bait at the river or ocean fishing), but I just didn't see a desperate need yet.

If you are converting the cooler for keeping fish fresh to eat, I say don't spend the money on it since throwing the fish on ice is good enough. But if you want to keep bait fresh and lively, spend the money on the conversion. BTW I had catfish live in my tub for 3 days before I processed it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast