Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Help jigging the trout worm

Default Help jigging the trout worm

I seen some post In Here regarding the trout worm but still can't manage to catch more 1 on each trip out. Is the bite different from drop shot and split shot? What has helped u guys out? Any good books out there? Any teachers out there? Been jigging fishing for about 1 year. Any help is appreciated

I've noticed this year that the bite on the Worm with a ball head has been slow this year. I haven't used used it much this year. I've been using more of mini jigs and minnows. But the worm on the drop shot and split shot have been killing it.

How you jig is simple. Cast out as far as possible. Let it sink depending on how deep the lake is or how deep the fish are. Slowly reel and bop your tip at the same time. Keep repeating this until the jig is all the way in. It's a repetitive technique. I sometimes cast more than 1000 times in a day. Just keep moving until you find where the fish are and see what color they want.

What pound test line you using? How are you rigging it? Have you tried wacky rigging. It is all about trying out different, colors, styles, and adapting to the conditions. I am no expert but have plenty of experience fishing trout worms and jigs. Try sticking your index finger out as you reel in so the line hits your finger with every rotation giving the worm a little bounce just like with jigs. Different manufacturers worms move differently and float differently so you need to know how the product you use reacts so you know how to fish it.

Thanks for the tips, I use 2lbs test, 7 ft UL gloomis rod, I've used jigs but it seems that I pull in more weeds than anything. I use power worms , and use 1/16 for drop shot and 1/32 weight for split shot. I have tried not reeling and doing the taps taps from 4 o'clock to 1 o'clock and also reeling with the taps, I feel like I have no time to set the hook ones I feel a bite

Tried a reply that was too long and got cut off and lost the whole message. Computer is down and tried to reply finger-pecking on a Kindle...sucks big time! Quickly (before I get timed-out again) your equipment sounds perfect. Will try to get to a functional computer and send some great hints here or by PM.

I use a size 10 owner mesquito hook and tie a palomar knot and take tag end and go back through the hook once more and add the weight at bottom. My most effective color are orange,natural and white.

There is a excellent video covering this subject it was on Irvine lake site/ you tube. The title is Drop shotting for trout tutorial video by captain Don Spencer.

Default just sent a ton of info by PM

it was a bit longer than I thought so could you let me know if you got all of it it and if it was clear enough? Thanks. DAN