Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: A week in the Sierras. June 27th to July 5th.

Default A week in the Sierras. June 27th to July 5th.

Had the chance to take a week off so I went up to stay with the in laws in Bishop. Girlfriends Dad loves to fish so it was an eventful trip.

Day 1
    Went down the street to hit my fav spot N fork Bishop Creek. Lots of shrubbery has filled in the sides of the creek and lots of salad in the water. I was able to pull one that night on Fly-lined garlic drenched Night Crawlers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	46543

Day 2.
    Went exploring on Owens River. Went off the 168 and found my Focus was too low to make it near the water or any spots. Went back to Bishop and went back on the river near Laws. Patrolled for over 3 hours until I spotted a nice trout just hanging out. Tossed a mice tail at it just to get stuck on a bush right above it. Snapped the line and retied a hook with a NC on it. Floated right next to it and it went for it. Nice little flight. Brought it up to the shore when I realized I was about 4 feet above the water. Tried to bring it up and the line snapped.... Jumped down and managed to grab it before it flopped back into the water. 2 lb. 18 inch Rainbow Trout, personal best. Decided to call it a day.

Name:	IMG_0314[2].jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	46544

Day 3
    Headed up to Intake II with the father-in law and my son. Fished for a few hours, pulled in about 3 Rainbows and 2 browns on random Power bait. Kid had a blast.

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	46545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	46546

Day 4
    Attempted to go to PVR. But when we got there we found out one of the bikes was out of commission so we head back home. Ended up going back at the creek. Got 1 brown and 1 rainbow, threw them both back to get a little bigger. I explored more of Owens but didn’t have much luck other than finding a 3/4 full jar of Green Garlic power bait.

Name:	IMG_0388[1].jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	46547

Day 5
    Went to Gull for no action. Wind picked up bad and decided to head down to Convict. We met up with the rest of the fam, had some lunch and tried fishing. No luck also. Saw a few catch trout but it was pretty much a bust.

Day 6
    Spent with the fam and watched the fireworks show at the Paiute palace at night. Pretty good show with really good fireworks, plus it was free.

Day 7

Woke up early and headed to Intake II again. Arrived and our normal spot was taken. Went closer to the Dam and settled in. Tossed out the lines and nothing for over an hour. Looked in my bag and saw the Green Garlic power bait I had found on Owens River. Switched to that and it was on for the rest of the morning. We ended up with limits and even tossing back 5 Rainbows by 11. I was also tossing around a worm and pulled in 3 browns on that rod.

Name:	IMG_0392[1].jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	46548

Final day.

So I had said no more fishing after limiting out the previous day. I spent it with the fam cursing around town. Just after dinner I looked at my watch and saw it was 6:45P. I got the bug and ran out the door. Stopped by the chevron and got me my worms. Went back over the creek and pulled out my rod from my trunk, looked at my net but decided to leave it. Went down to the water and started floating the worm downstream. 2nd toss I felt a little peck. I let it eat it and the fight began. This fish was big, bigger than the one from Owens River. Wore him out and brought him near some tall grass. Boy was mad I had left my net. I had a 2lb leader and was afraid of lifting him out. I tried to shove my finger in the gill; he flinched and snapped the line. At least I had seen him... Fished for a little longer to finish the day with 1 landed.

Name:	IMG_0401[1].jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	46549

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	46550

Great trip and can’t wait to go back.

Great report ... great time ... envy here!

Thanks for sharing

i was up there the same time you were, but in the june lake loop area. great report....also love the shot of the ST...i had a blue one, i miss it

Thanks I used the Green Garlic on the Bishop Creek this past weekend covering my hook on a pinch crawler
    and they worked pretty good at getting the bigger trout in the creek.

Intake 2 the green garlic alone worked great even though the fishing pressure is pretty heavy.

In the local shops in both Mammoth and Bishop they tell you to use the bubble and float your bait that way.
    Tried it for a while and saw people doing it all day and they did not catch anything.

Then, I just used a carolina keeper with weight and a 3 ft leader and the fish were on the lake.

In the creek just a very small BB size weight with a sharp fly hook on the pinch crawler.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
    Thanks I used the Green Garlic on the Bishop Creek this past weekend covering my hook on a pinch crawler
    and they worked pretty good at getting the bigger trout in the creek.

Intake 2 the green garlic alone worked great even though the fishing pressure is pretty heavy.

In the local shops in both Mammoth and Bishop they tell you to use the bubble and float your bait that way.
    Tried it for a while and saw people doing it all day and they did not catch anything.

Then, I just used a carolina keeper with weight and a 3 ft leader and the fish were on the lake.

In the creek just a very small BB size weight with a sharp fly hook on the pinch crawler.

I use the Carolina keeper set up at the lake with power bait. I use swivels and about a 10-16in 2lb leaders. Ive found using the lightest sinkers possible nets more fish.

For worms I use bb shot above swivels with about 6-10in leaders. I thread the worms when i don't plan on releasing. keeps the fish from ripping off the worm and presents it better.

Ive also caught some of my bigger fish on these with worms.

http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/rigs/two-way-spinner-1
    Last edited by ibom; 07-14-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Great report! I was up there that same week, and I was probably at Gull the same day you were. The stocked trout fishing in the June Lake Loop was definitely slower than usual, and those DFW stockers were basically fish sticks, but they did a great job in supplementing the stockers with the larger fish from Oregon. Kudos to Mono County and the landings for doing that, otherwise the fishing would have been really disappointing.

Backcountry fly fishing was fantastic though, but for unfortunate reasons (open waters and trails at high elevations, and not a lot of runoff flow to blow out the streams)