Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Opener Reports

Default Trout Opener Reports

So guys how was the VIP Day for Trout today? There's been a few skunk reports, any good news? Any locations, lures, colors we should be trying for trolling? Thanks for those helping us guys that can't get out on the water much. I'm looking to head out tomorrow or this weekend. Any info would be appreciated... Michael

Definitely a tough day. A pattern seemed to emerge in the late morning and noonish along the west shore, surprisingly in 5-10 feet of water. Even the browns were biting primarily on garlic chartreuse PowerBait, and 2-pound test leaders were necessary. Unfortunately, the browns can quickly chew through the thin leader, so its a devil's bargain, but some fish were landed. A few troll fish were caught at the Red Clay Cliffs and mid-lake on pink flickershads.
    Weather front moving in Friday PM may improve the bite conditions.

Thanks Steve for the info! How was it today? I was originally planning on making it out this morning, but decided that that cold weather front coming in tonight would be better for a Saturday bite.
    ---Michael

Went out today in a boat. The Water temp was 70 degrees and the visibility was about 12 inches. Very murky water. I was shocked to see how low the water levels were. Santiago Flats was practically unfishable. Anyways my buddy and I were skunked for the day and didn't see much action from anybody else around us. We saw a few people catching from shore near the boat docks. It looked like the fish were holding in about 3-4 feet of water near shore. Saw a couple people hooking up when we took off in the morning and saw one guy hook up when we returned in the afternoon. He landed a pretty nice one at around 4 lbs. Had a fish finder that read a lot of fish around us but they weren't on the chew. Probably because of the water temperature which felt like bath water. I am going to wait a few weeks after they have pumped in some water and the temperature cools. It was just a lost cause out there for us today.

Me too. Float tubed opening day for nada. Did hook one on short leader 2lb test that ran and broke me off. I think the water may be a bit warm. Saw a few bite jigs in shallow water. Try short leaders

Me too! I caught a whole lot of nothing but I did manage to hook 6 crayfish on powerbait!!haha anyways yes the water was very low! Disappointed. Thinking about going back tomorrow.

I was out there yesterday on my float tube with my buddy we showed up late because he didn't want to wake up but it didn't matter because most of my fish were caught between 11am-2pm. Fishing was tough you had to work for your fish. Although the water was fairly warm surprisingly all the fish I caught were in under 10ft of water. Orange and chart was the ticket dipped in Bite On Roe. All the fish were quality size. Good luck out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIXJEVj9-w

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR1697.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	45279
    Last edited by l2exllen; 11-01-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker-hunter209 View Post
    Me too! I caught a whole lot of nothing but I did manage to hook 6 crayfish on powerbait!!haha anyways yes the water was very low! Disappointed. Thinking about going back tomorrow.
    what color were the crawfish?

Dark red........

Quote Originally Posted by l2exllen View Post
    I was out there yesterday on my float tube with my buddy we showed up late because he didn't want to wake up but it didn't matter because most of my fish were caught between 11am-2pm. Fishing was tough you had to work for your fish. Although the water was fairly warm surprisingly all the fish I caught were in under 10ft of water. Orange and chart was the ticket dipped in Bite On Roe. All the fish were quality size. Good luck out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIXJEVj9-w

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR1697.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	45279
    Props to you! A limit on a very tough day. Great Video to back it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast