Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

Went to SARL yesterday and was pretty disappointed. Arrived at 6:30am and left about 1:30pm. Not a bite, not a nibble, nothing. Circled the lake at four spots and spoke to every person there. Of all the people, I think I was the least upset.

Several families camped there and got skunked through the night and day, I spoke to a couple of guys and they arrived at 2am and also had zero luck. They were the most upset at $55 a head and were walking and talking to everyone along the bank of Chris Pond and Casy corner trying to get people to go "storm" the front and ask for either money back or discounts for another visit.

Several rumors were floating about Saturday fishing as well that I know were wrong saying that the largest fish that won the tournament was a 4 lbs Carp. (I did see a 10+lbs catfish posted that was fished at 6:30am that ended up winning the Pink Catfishing event).

Ultimately I don't know if it was because I went on Sunday or they caught so much on Saturday day during the event that it was all fished out or what but it was the worst I have ever heard or seen.

I know you went in your tube so you have a bit of an advantage. Pay lakes are like being an old Western gun fighter. (you have to take advantage of every edge you can or your dead!) First thing you do is research SARL by watching the stocking videos. Watch and count how many chutes of fish go into the lake and which lakes they stock and where. Next thing I would do if fishing in a float tube is go when they stock the Catfish lake!!! That lake is very kind to float tubers! Also try to go as close as you can to the stocking day's with Friday being best. Next is the bait. They stock both Blues and Channels in there, so Night crawlers dipped in Garlic is my first choice for Blues along with Shrimp as my second choice. If your a Mackerel guy give that a try but you really don't have too. Keep watching the stocking videos and you will see an opportunity on when to go next time. (trust me on that one)

I actually did go where they stocked, they did two in Chris pond and another at Casy corner. Was just no luck there. Also, I went in my tube two weeks ago this trip I went with my kid and we just hung out and shore fished.

When you mention Catfish lake are you meaning the catch and release one to the left? I never went in there, not even sure how to fish that lake thought it was surrounded by weeds and stuff.

Thanks for the bait tip! I used shrimp, mackerel, mackerel with Bite On Cajun and Mealworms. nada. I threw everything at those fish, saved the mackerel blood. Was given some chicken livers when I was there and through some of that blood in the water, nothin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    I actually did go where they stocked, they did two in Chris pond and another at Casy corner. Was just no luck there. Also, I went in my tube two weeks ago this trip I went with my kid and we just hung out and shore fished.

When you mention Catfish lake are you meaning the catch and release one to the left? I never went in there, not even sure how to fish that lake thought it was surrounded by weeds and stuff.

Thanks for the bait tip! I used shrimp, mackerel, mackerel with Bite On Cajun and Mealworms. nada. I threw everything at those fish, saved the mackerel blood. Was given some chicken livers when I was there and through some of that blood in the water, nothin'...
    I haven't been there in awhile, so did they re name the Catfish Lake the Catch and Release lake. If they did they totally went against there own philosophy of no catch and release except for Sturgeon and Bass. I can't believe they would only put Sturgeon and Bass in there, so what gives?????

p.s. My buddy holds the unofficial LMB record at SARL caught at the Old Catfish I mean catch and release lake. (The fish was 12 lbs!) So maybe their trying to return that lake to greatest again!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.

I think you are right, they call it Catfish Lake or from what I have also been told is Trophy Lake. It is only Catch and Release there though

They were the most upset at $55 a head....
    Ouch! $55?!

and were walking and talking to everyone along the bank of Chris Pond and Casy corner trying to get people to go "storm" the front and ask for either money back or discounts for another visit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Ouch! $55?!

That's why I go to the parks. It's FREEEEE!!!!! lol I'm even catching bigger fish (on average) then they stock at SARL.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-24-2018 at 01:08 PM.