Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Thanksgiving surf

Default Thanksgiving surf

Hi y'all. Started fishing at 830 and finished at 11am. Caught 10 fish total and lost 2. Catch was comprised of 7 jacksmelt, 2 Butts, and what I presume to be a cabezon. All caught on the lc. I lost a giant fish on my first cast but since I did not see it I cannot say what it is. From the silhouette in the waves though it looked the shape of a wsb. It was chasing a jack smelt when I casted to it and my rod doubled over. I did not have my drag set so I tried to thumb it before it got off. Regardless it was a great day. Birds were diving and chasing a bait all. I have never experienced this but ran to where the birds were and started casting. The jacksmelt were hunting and super aggresive, never knew they would hit an lc. The bird fishing lasted about 40 minutes before they moved on but I stayed in the same spot a while longer. I remember thinking "why aren't there any Halibut or Calico's hitting when my lc got hit. I immediately knew this was no JS, the fish pulled to hard and seemed more confident in its strength than the cracked out smelts. Sure enough it turned out to be a Halibut. I am not big on pictures and if I am not keeping it I get in the water asap, which was the case today. By my estimate the fish was 18 inches and a second one followed a few cast later. I moved on to my Calico spot after the second butt and here I caught my potential Cab. I did take a pic of this fish due to it being on my surf bucketlist. All fish were caught throwing the lc on the Lews Mark Rose 9ft square bill rod, Abu Zata and 10 lb big game. Thanks for the read, happy Thanksgiving!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211125_143058_300.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	53521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211125_143058_380.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	53522  

Perfect way to spend Thanksgiving, congrats on a great session

Wow
    Nice cabezon Bro!
    I had heard that there was tons of bait down South.

Nice day indeed.

Robert
    <><