Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Late report for Saturday 10/25

Default Late report for Saturday 10/25

Took off from the dock before dawn hoping for some early action but it was all quiet with only an occasional fish breaking the surface. Went to where most of the action has been lately and first cast hooked up but it was the “other white meat” with green skin. Not that disappointed until it happened again 3 more times some with large mouths and some with small.

So I finally hook a striper and he comes off at the boat. I used to like bass before I became obsessed with stripers but now they just seem warm and creepy. It is nice that they just sit there and let you stick your thumb in their mouth to get the hook out unlike a striper that sees you coming and goes nuts trying to get away.

Anyway, the boils didn’t get going until a little later and then every time I tried to ease into one three guys in a big loud inboard racing boat would zoom past everybody up to the edge of the boil, cast and hook up and drive the boil down before anyone else could get a chance. They seemed so proud of themselves for hooking up. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row so I moved to anywhere else that had a chance for some action as long as they weren’t there.

Slowly picked up the right species some from an occasional boil and some from just casting or jigging.

Twice a boil popped up right in front of me with nobody around as I went slowly cruising eating a sandwich and pulled one from each of those boils. Saw another boil in the back of a cove with nobody around and got there just as they were almost down but got a nice one hooked with a fluke. The wind was blowing me too close to shore as I fought the fish so I tried to use the trolling motor but it had not latched in position when I put it down so I tried to push it down with my right foot and slipped off the top of the motor and landed hard on the edge of the boat as I went overboard into the lake.
    One hand was holding onto the boat and the other was holding the rod up over my head so it wouldn’t get wet. I could feel the fish still fighting on the line and I noticed it was my Phenix rod with Stradic reel that was lost last year in Yellowbar and I recovered a month later and I wasn’t about to give it back to Pyramid.

Tried putting the rod down but there were no rod holders there and this was a good fish that probably would pull the rod in if I didn’t hold on so with one hand and two elbows I managed to climb back into the boat and land a nice 3 pound striper.

With soggy shoes and some huge bruises that will make it impossible to get an underwear modeling job for months, Mr. Stripey went into the cooler and was eaten for dinner Sunday night.
    By then another boat arrived after the boil was over but on time to watch my fiasco. They just acted like they didn’t see a thing but probably thought, “What a bonehead”

Didn’t do much trolling until the last hour or two and picked up another bunch of small ones.
    Each time out it becomes more apparent that the season and the bite are changing.
    Hopefully the sardines in my freezer are still good.

Great report, as usual!

Nice job managing to hold on to your rod! Falling into the water is my worst fear, especially on the troll, as I usually fish alone. After those two guys died at Pyramid earlier this year I've been wearing my inflatable PFD full-time when on the water. I guess you can fall in just as easily on a high-freeboard boat (I see from previous posts you have a Crestliner too) as you can on a bass boat.

Congrats on the catching and on not drowning.

That's bad news about the modeling jobs.

GREAT report right there,,,,,,,,,,

TOP NOTCH READ!

thanks bassfan,,to bad abought the dunking BUT that's what striper junkies do,,lol.

I can SO relate to this statement
    \
    <So I finally hook a striper and he comes off at the boat. I used to like bass before I became obsessed with stripers but now they just seem warm and creepy. It is nice that they just sit there and let you stick your thumb in their mouth to get the hook out unlike a striper that sees you coming and goes nuts trying to get away.>

Welcome to the dark side,,

Now your screen name TRUELY fits,,

Thanks BASSFAN!

TRAIL BLAZER

Wow.. What a day.. Between the speedboat boneheads and the striper baptism I think its safe to say, the dues have been put in.
    Congrats!!!

Top notch report and I'm so 100% agreeing with what ya say about changing bite.

I think the troll is going to be sick here REAL quick!

TO's hangover pattern

Wow Jim, what an adventure! Thank God you survived the ordeal with some bruises, and a sore ego......That was a great read, and I, too have been ruined by the stripers......No more sunfish for me, except the occasional bycatch...................Dave

Thanks guys for the support, it would have been easier to climb back into a bass boat than over the bow of a Crestliner but I wouldn’t want to encourage those bass to assume I’m looking for them.

TB, thanks for the dark side welcome wagon and FB, I hope those dues are a one-time only payment.

It happened so fast it jolted me to a new level of being careful on the water.

Funny story only because it ended well, and I'm glad it did...it's sobering how quickly bad stuff can happen, especially on the water.