Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Perris Birthday Slay fest....

Default Perris Birthday Slay fest....

So my wife asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday this year? And because of how fun the bite has been at Perris I told her I wanted to just hang out and go fishing at Perris for a few hours.. She simply shook her head and said, "you are as hardcore as they get"... yeah well tell me something I don't already know!!! haha

Not only is the bite good at Perris right now but I also wanted to go and sharpen some skills with techniques that Ill be needing at the US OPEN next week.. Ive been practicing and practicing, getting my gear ready, tuning baits and everything else this way when I go to the US OPEN next week Ill be as dialed in as I can possibly be..

So with the US OPEN about a week away, I feel like Im peaking right now... Im in tune with every technique Ill be using at that tournament and Ive got myself into shape to withstand 3 tournament days on lake Mead plus practice days.. Now all I have to do is find the right fish each day... (which isn't an easy task on Lake Mead).

But as far as yesterday ...My wife and I dropped the little one off at school at 8 am and off to the lake we went... We had to miss the first 2 hours of the morning but I didn't care, I couldn't wait to get out on the lake...

So we launch the boat and off we go... Straight to the spot I killed them at Saturday morning when I was there..

The key to the area Im fishing is that it has isolated hydrilla patches.. Its not bogged down .. The water is between 12-15 ft deep with small areas of hydrilla.. These areas are hard to find because there is so much dying grass and hydrilla and so many areas that are bogged sown with it so when you find isolated stuff, ITS GOLD!!!

So we head over to the area and we start firing away... we are both throwing reaction baits... within minutes Im on and I swing a 2lber in the boat...a few minutes later Im on again and I swing another in the boat. Then my very next cast I miss a bite and then it comes back and I swing my 3rd keeper into the boat...
    That's about the time my wife gives me a glare and I simply say... "hey its my birthday give me a break" lol

So we keep fishing and she finally starts to cat them too.. we went back and forth for a while then it slowed down a bit and she got a call from work so we had to head to the dock so she could take care of the business call... Within minutes we headed back to our spot and started casting again but nothing wanted to respond... So I make a change to another reaction bait that will stay closer to the bottom because I was metering fish but they weren't as active now and they were staying closer to the bottom..
    I make my first cast and BOOM.. Im on... hahaahha then the next cast Boom Im on again and its a GIANT!!! I play the bass to the boat and swing a TOAD over the rail..BOOM baby 7 1/2 lber!!!!! ...theres that glare again!!
    She didn't wait this time as she made the change right after that fish and on her first cast she swung a nice one into the boat.. then we caught a couple more.
    We had around 17 bass at that point.. as the reaction bite slowed to a crawl... "Its time to head deep", I said!!

So we put away those rods and busted out the deep stuff... "We're gonna keep it simple", I said.. "were only going to dropshot!!" So we head out to the spot where I also left them on Saturday..
    I put the the troller down in 50ft and it looks like a ghost town... "Don't worry, I know they are here. We just have to find them and when we do, they will bite", I said.. So we just keep metering around on the troller.. Then all of a sudden the graph lights up..and guess what... IM ON!! hahahaha....but this time She sets the hook too and its a double hook up!!!! The mother load is under the boat..
    We both cast back out and she sets the hook again..."ITS A GIANT", She says!!! Just then a huge 7-8 lber jumps next to the boat...Its big...and PISSED....as it surges down to about 25ft... then she gets it turned and back to the boat. It comes up right next to the boat ...and comes unbuttoned.... This was her face... This was mine... hahaha....It WAS a contender for the big fish of the day..coulda shoulda woulda but it was gone!!! haha Oh well...she retied and kept fishing..within minutes she sets the hook and swings a 3 lber into the boat...then another.. Then we had one last double hookup to end the day...

we kinda lost count on how many we caught but somewhere between 23-25 bass and we missed the first 2 hours of the day... Not too shaby!! And a great way to spend my birthday with my bride doing what I love to do..

Here are some pictures..

I put ALOT of useful info in this story guys.... tips to help you get bit and techniques and depths....

If you want a trip with me let me know and Ill take the guess work out of it for you... Its a great time to go fishing guys!!

Pete

PeteMarinoGuideService.com

Their is no doubt you are one heckuva fisherman, Pete. Great job out there, buddy. any word on what lies in the future for Perris? Is it closing to privates? Is it being drained? Is it gonna be bought by Disney and turned into a zoo? any word???

Aday on the water with the wife,,,,a ton a fish AND the US OPEN in a few days= living the dream!

WTG Pete.

TRAIL BLAZER

Hell yeah Pete awesome write up. Thanks on behalf of fnn for all the informative tips...much appreciated.

Happy b-day brotha and gluck at the open!!

Thanks boys!!

No exact confirmed word yet... ALOT of speculation though...everyone seems to be being told different things from different people... I will say this though, I spoke with one of the top dogs that is in the know (Wont mention the persons name) and he told me last week that everything is up in the air... then of coarse I hear from someone who talked to someone that said they will be closed right after labor day weekend.. Ive also heard that they want to put down concrete slabs to make a temp. launch by sail cove and limit the boats or even launch from the dirt....sooooo much speculation..
    Here's my opinion....one of two things is going to happen.. A. They wont close at all because the state wont want to lose the revenue from watercraft and wont be able to get funding to do the project on the dam.. OR ... B. they will be closing at some point further away from Labor day then we've heard (closer to the slowest time of year which is Nov/Dec) but they will indeed allow launching at sail cove when the water reaches a certain point and they can get slabs down to launch from.
    If the plan was to bring the water down because of the drought and not because of the dam project then I think they will see that this Winter is going to be a wet one and play it by ear. They took a ton of water out of Castaic instead of Perris this year because of the drought..so they may go that route again too... WHO KNOWS.. hahaha

"piss on myspace".thanks bro... Im always at odds as to writing reports and stories because "some people" out there think they are dumb BUT then Ill hear from tons of guys who love them
    and appreciate them so I keep them coming.. So Im glad you and others appreciate them...
    As far as the US OPEN... Im a nervous wreck haha I know I have the skill to run with the big guns.. I can catch the fish... I just need to find them and on Mead its more challenging then on our local lakes. I have a great support system in my corner backing me that have taken alot of the financial burden off me and that should help me stay focused to go find those green and brown buggers. Ill be there trying hardest...and I wont quit...that's a fact!

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Marino; 08-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks for your input, pete. And much luck for you at the u.s. open. Stay confident, work hard, keep your focus, and lets see what happens.

Thanks Husker.. that's all I can do... Stay focused, fish hard from start to finish and let the chips fall where they may..

Pete

Sounds like you had a blast Pete on your birthday, always a good read when I get home from work. Keep at it, good luck at the US open, last but not least Happy Belated Birthday I wish you all the best.

Just be confident and do what you do Pete and everything will work out for you.
    Good luck on that kicker at Mead!

Brent