Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing site of 80+ ft Blue Whale jumping in front of my boat.

Default Amazing site of 80+ ft Blue Whale jumping in front of my boat.

Amazing site of 80+ ft Blue Whale jumping in front of my boat.

With this El Niņo pushing exotics close to us, I Carefully was watching the weather for flat seas I Decided to launch out of Dana point with a buddy to see what was cooking on Monday.

Headed west towards the 209 and before I knew it I was 20 miles out with all the other party boats who were getting tuna. Weather and seas were absolutely spectacular.

Unfortunately after getting that far I realized I did this completely unprepared with gas. By the time I was there I only had half a tank left and a spare 5 gallons. Not wanting to play with fire I just headed back in working a bunch of paddies some loaded with bait and no one home.

Truly enjoying and appreciating what nature has to offer.

I had seen a couple threshers slapping there tails nearby pods of dolphins, and a bunch of mola mola finning. ( thinking they were sharks at first) haha.
    Felt like I was at seaworld.

To my surprise, me and my buddy start seeing huge splashes thinking WTF? No way.... It is a blue whale? Biggest animal in the World. There tongues way as much as an elephant.

I pulled my iPhone out and had to video this beauty. Something that gave me goosebumps then and now every time I think about it.

I looked over at my friend and said our lives could be over in a split second if it hits the boat. I didn't care. If this was how my life was gonna end, I will take it to be able to experience this in my life no less on my boat. No regrets. I would do it again.

Short clip. Enjoy cuz I know I will never forget that moment.

Btw... I will be back! Next time with an extra 25 gallons.

Fantastic video, what a rush. Take a bigger rod next time and see if you can hook him on the topwater, there boilin' I tell ya, boilin'!!!!
    Ya gonna need a bigger fuel tank for sure if your gonna go 20 miles out and then do some trollin' or hunting them down.

Great Video Mike, I've seen 100 footers out into mexico twice just like that, it's an experience one never forgets..

I thought I was gonna see it leaping since you said it was jumping...that one was just porpoiseing (not sure of that spelling)

You should have trolled then, many times the target fish travel near the larger mamals for safety...the day I saw those two 100 footers we landed tuna just shortly after seeing them both times.

Sweet

Cool Vid. How many gallons does your boat hold and what size motor ?
    Bummer on the dry paddies.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Cool Vid. How many gallons does your boat hold and what size motor ?
    Bummer on the dry paddies.
    DR
    My motor is a 50 and my tank holds only 12 gallons.

I go 2 days of fishing trolling all day on 1 tank. Just completely overlooked
    Going over 20+mph that I would burn that gas much faster. (Thinking an extra 5 gallons would be enough! Wtf?)

I will be more prepared next time.

Mike at wide open throttle (76 mph) my "Redneck Rocketship (200hp)" burns 18.2 gal per hour and 115 mi range, at a respectable 30 mph it has 187 mi range.

Now you know you'll need more petrol.
    You'll get em next time Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Mike at wide open throttle (76 mph) my "Redneck Rocketship (200hp)" burns 18.2 gal per hour and 115 mi range, at a respectable 30 mph it has 187 mi range.
    So if my calculations are right, your tank holds 28 gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by MikesOcean View Post
    So if my calculations are right, your tank holds 28 gallons?

33 gallons to be exact but the "Low Fuel" warning comes on when around 5 gallons are left in the tank.

Cool video Mike,we had one swim under our skiff a few years back,killed the Dorado and tails that day too!

Cya Tuna Vic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast