Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opaleye and sheephead from the surf

Default opaleye and sheephead from the surf

headed out around 5 am Saturday morning with my brother in law to the jetty. Once we got there we saw some birds feeding and some fish jumping going after the bait fish. After about the third cast i had a fish on! everybody on he jetty was hooking on to some butts with either the LC or spoons in total I got about 11 shorts and 3 Bonita and my brother in law got 8 shorts and 1 Bonita. But after about a half hour of amazing fishing the bite just died out here's a pic of the biggest Hali i got it was about 18 inch
    >

. After the bite died out me and my brother still wanted to fish so at about 4 we headed to the surf but were quickly dissapointed. With every cast of the LC we would bring in a chunk of salad and there was a lot of people in the water making it even more difficult. So we changed the strategy and started using a camo worms on a carolina rig. And after about an hour i hooked up to a juvenile sheephead at first i didn't know what it was though i just saw two long teeth on the top and bottom of its mouth and thought it was pretty bizarre. And like ten minutes later i hooked up to an opaleye and to top it off a leopard about 23 inch. I didn't take a pic of the sheephead i didn't know what it was until i got home and looked it up ill post a pic from google though.
    >

>

Nice going Efren. Don't remember hearing too much about sheephead being caught from shore. Nice score and great count on the pancakes and bonies for you and your bro!

Don

Yeah me neither those fish were a surprise to me to I hope I get one in HG6 haha that would be awsome

nice cathces! sheephead need to be 12" to keep.... its nice delicate meat , a poorman's lobster sometimes referred to... cool fact they start as female then turn to those huge males that get up to 20lbs or so... many a jackpot won by those u catch em!!! btw hour many hour limit do those meters get u in that area???? guess i gottta bring quarter roll and set my alarms to run back to car every so often............

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    nice cathces! sheephead need to be 12" to keep.... its nice delicate meat , a poorman's lobster sometimes referred to... cool fact they start as female then turn to those huge males that get up to 20lbs or so... many a jackpot won by those u catch em!!! btw hour many hour limit do those meters get u in that area???? guess i gottta bring quarter roll and set my alarms to run back to car every so often............
    The one I caught was about 14 inch but I just released it kuz I usually just catch and realease and I didn't know what it was kuz I thought all sheephead were red and black

That's a pretty nice assortment of fish for one day in the surf!

Nice assortment for the surf,especially the goat,looks like you've got a great spot!

Cya Tuna Vic

Here's a tip.. if you want crankbait action in the surf when there's kelp everywhere, try tossing a T-rigged Zoom swimming super fluke, slow-roll it, they swim and roll just like a crank :) Perfect solution for weed-choked areas..

Thumbs up

A Sheephead from the surf?!? I've seen a couple caught caught from the rock, but never one from the surf.
    Wish you would have taken a pic of it so we can positively ID it.
    Way to go Efren, but you better save some of these nice catches for HG6.

Nice numbers from the jetty and nice mixed bag from the surf. Good job on picking up an opaleye and sheepshead in the same session. That's the first I've seen from the surf. Pretty cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast