Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cormorant population at our lakes

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    If they did drain it, I hope they would put all the fish in Carbon Canyon. I heard they finally dredge it and are looking to restock it. That is by far the most peaceful lake I fish!!!!!!
    Yeah, Carbon Canyon is a cool little lake. Good to hear they may have cleaned it out, that weed growth was just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Not sure how much of this is tongue-in-cheek, but those are Mexican cormorants and not indigenous to our local lakes. Without getting too politically incorrect, they migrated here. Not that there are a lot of natural lakes that were drained and destroyed to accommodate human activity.
    No they're not. They are double-crested cormorants and they are native to California. They are protected under the federal migratory Bird protection act. When they become a nuisance a depredation permit can be applied for, with the feds (USFWS). Sometimes they are granted, like when a lake manager can show a monetary loss for all the stocked fish he is losing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by RTG View Post
    No they're not. They are double-crested cormorants and they are native to California. They are protected under the federal migratory Bird protection act. When they become a nuisance a depredation permit can be applied for, with the feds (USFWS). Sometimes they are granted, like when a lake manager can show a monetary loss for all the stocked fish he is losing to them.
    Thank you for following up with clarity. Last time out to a local lake I did see what appeared to be both Mexican and double crested birds and I thought to myself I should follow up here, but things just got busy. No breeding plumage on the double crested type, though, so I'm still not so sure.
    Whichever they are, they are a nuisance for anglers for sure.

I see SARL firing bottle rockets at them when they get aggressive on stocking day. They should be taking them out with mortars or AA guns...I've personally seen at least 5 trout 21-2 lbs each, fresh, on thursday afternoons and friday mornings flopping in the dirt 100-200 yards south of the river, well outside the fenceline. The fish drop them as they fly back to their nests. I work on the freeway widening project, that's how I find them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234