Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Saturday Dec 2

Default Saturday Dec 2

Hey guys. Some friends and I are heading out to big bear for the day so I think I'll stop by and fish for an hour or two. I should be arriving around 8 am and probably will go straight to the lake. Does anyone know of any spots that could produce this time of year with the weather that way it looks now?

Saturday

59°/29°

Any tips? Was thinking of running with 4 pound mono, 1.5ft leader, not sure on the size of the sinker. Any recommendations on the size of the sinker and hook? will a size 16 treble hook get the job done? What type of powerbait works out there? This is my first time trout fishing outside of SARL, which is why I ask.

Call the Big Bear sporting goods store. They are very willing to share that info and will sell you the latest, greatest bait/tackle as well as give you good spots. You can call them as well and get the straight scoop.

Sorry for the late response, hopefully we will see a report of a successful trip! There are many, many good shore spots so I will not comment, but, in my experience:
    1. Size 16 treble should be OK, but I generally go 18.
    2. Line size is what I use, and pretty much the max I would recommend. I have used (and seen recommended) going with 2# and had success.
    3. I generally go with a much longer leader, depending on the conditions that you experience in the area you are fishing. I like to make sure the bait is up and out of the weeds.
    4. For Powerbaits, I usually go with the classics (Garlic, Garlic Chunky Cheese, and Hatchery Pellet)
    5. If that does not produce, consider going with: A - Inflated nightcrawers fished up off the bottom (of course you will need to switch hook type and size) or even B - Nightcrawlers fished on a slip bobber.
    Again - Apologies that it does not seem that you got a whole lot of advice prior to your trip, but hoping to see a positive followup report from you on a great day fishing, and maybe these tips can help someone else in a similar situation. - Brewcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    Sorry for the late response, hopefully we will see a report of a successful trip! There are many, many good shore spots so I will not comment, but, in my experience:
    1. Size 16 treble should be OK, but I generally go 18.
    2. Line size is what I use, and pretty much the max I would recommend. I have used (and seen recommended) going with 2# and had success.
    3. I generally go with a much longer leader, depending on the conditions that you experience in the area you are fishing. I like to make sure the bait is up and out of the weeds.
    4. For Powerbaits, I usually go with the classics (Garlic, Garlic Chunky Cheese, and Hatchery Pellet)
    5. If that does not produce, consider going with: A - Inflated nightcrawers fished up off the bottom (of course you will need to switch hook type and size) or even B - Nightcrawlers fished on a slip bobber.
    Again - Apologies that it does not seem that you got a whole lot of advice prior to your trip, but hoping to see a positive followup report from you on a great day fishing, and maybe these tips can help someone else in a similar situation. - Brewcrafter
    Thanks for the help! The trip wasn't primarily a fishing trip so the fact that I didn't catch anything didn't hurt as much as if it were a trip solely meant for fishing. However, I ended up at a spot near the marina on pine knot ave and started around 10 am. I parked on the street and walked down to the lake and to the left as there were a bunch of people taking pictures right next to the marina. I threw two rods out each with the same set up, size 16 treble hooks with about a 2ft leader, 4# line and chartreuse powerbait, with a carolina keeper and 3/8 oz(which was probably too little weight, in retrospect). Mostly everything along the shore looks like it was covered in weeds and the wind was blowing against my cast so I couldn't get too far out, maybe 20-25 feet at the most and there were no other fisherman in sight. I was only there for about 1.5 hours before my girlfriend grew impatient and wanted to move on to something else, so take this report with a grain of salt as 1.5 hours does not do justice. All in all, I always have a great time fishing regardless of what I catch.

Cucamonga-Guasti is having a trout derby this Saturday that I will be attending so I'll get to try your recommendations Brewcrafter. I'll pick up some size 18 hooks, various options of powerbait, nightcrawlers and some bobbers. Thanks!

Sorry about your results but glad you had good times! Hey, it's why it's called "fishing"
    Good luck at Guasti on Saturday; I have had a lot of fun with my kids there nailing stocker cats, but now that it's trout season you should have a good time. For tips, I recommend going to the SoCal Saltwater Forum and looking at "kitefishing" (OKAY! I'm kidding! I want to see these evil vicious winds abate as much as anyone!) Good luck at Guasti, and when you are gearing up, let me refer back to my previous post and your response. Bobbers are cool (love them and have a lot). Slip bobbers are a different animal if you have not used them previously (and if you have I apologize for speaking out of turn, just trying to put out helpful info, after all that is what I believe the Forum is for). I'll be honest that they took me some time to get used to them, look for the clear kind where the line freely slips through the middle AND you can also pull out the center stem (plug) to fill the bobber partially with water. With practice you can control the depth pretty consistently with them where they hang below the surface (unlike a traditional "Red/White" bobber) and help you get your bait both down from the surface but above that troublesome weedline. I have never had issues with weeds/aquatic growth at Guasti but the last time I was there was 2 years ago, so hopefully you will be fine with the traditional rig you are used to (that's what I would be using). There are a LOT of folks on the forum here that most likely have been to Guasti recently and hopefully will chime in with better tips. Good luck, I'm (like everyone else on this Forum I suspect) are looking forward to the Santa Ana's ending! Looking forward to your report!

I try to fish artificial if I can everywhere I go. Some friends of mine catch them on Power Bait whatever color/flavor you like doesn’t seem to matter. 4# leader 3ft or longer. 3/8oz is usually enough but if the wind is bad use as much as you need. Location is key. I like the north shore just past the dam or by the east marina. But to be honest the only trout I have ever caught out of BBL was right next to the dam on a roostertail just after sunset, go figure. I’ll be up there this weekend but probably still target bass since that’s all I seem to be good at catching there.