Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Corona Lake have a trout season?

i talked to the guy in bait shop last saturday he said they may be out of work in 6 months or less water level is down to 9 feet at Dam half the lake is ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by devin828 View Post
    i talked to the guy in bait shop last saturday he said they may be out of work in 6 months or less water level is down to 9 feet at Dam half the lake is ripped off.
    Yeah so it looks like they won't be having a season this year because I can't see them getting enough water to raise it at least 5 to 10 feet.

Wow that sucks to hear..

Quote Originally Posted by devin828 View Post

We need the rain gods to make a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by KidTrout View Post
    Yeah so it looks like they won't be having a season this year because I can't see them getting enough water to raise it at least 5 to 10 feet.

Hey Corona was almost this low back in (I think) 09, they were talking about buying water somehow to raise the lake level up, then not too long after that at the end of December/early January the skies dumped massive rain onto us and the trout were flying over the spillway along with the water, and were even swimming upstream at the "inlet" at the south end, The water was like chocolate milk for a while but it sure changed the whole dynamics of the lake, all your favorite honey holes weren't working anymore, etc. It could happen again this year, never know what El Nino might bring us in the coming months.

Hey Jag I actually remember that. That's actually when I stopped fishing corona because the lake turned so black you couldn't see your jig an inch under water lol. But as long as we get some good rains to at least raise it 5 feet that would bring it back to last years levels and they should have a season again. Also I think It was 2 years ago out of no where they raised the lake like 7 feet higher. I wonder where they they got that water from? I'm sure if they don't get water a lot of people won't fish it this coming season if they do stock it because of how crowded that lake gets with all the boats and float tubes.

I would think the bigger threat would be the lake drying up completely or evaporating so low that fishing wouldn't be possible. The lake level has been lower and trout were still planted. If the water doesn't cool enough an opener might be delayed, but I don't think they would forego a season altogether. But we all sure could use some rain and a big storm dumping six inches upstream would be a nice shot in the arm. Couple more days like today and those big thunder storms banging in th right place might be all it takes, not even have to wait for El Nino to materialize.

It's up to the voters in the City of Corona. Water from Matthews is extremely low too so droping 2-3 board feet down to Elsinore and then having them open their gates to raise Corona is probably not an option.

Well I will just throw this out here. I heard from a buddy of mine in business that Corona Lake is on the verge of being "Sold" for a new housing development. Now dont know if its true but he heard from a developer that it may happen soon. Who knows though.

Corona Lake, like every lake is low due to the drought. Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District, who owns the lake and water, has been adding water to help keep the level from dropping too quickly. We have been given notice that they may be required to stop adding water as part of their conservation requirements from the State.

Hopefully the Lake will get some rain out of the forecasted El Niņo conditions and we will have another fantastic trout season. We will just have to wait and see.

The Lake and the water is owned by the water district. It has not sold and it is not for sale. The fishing operation has not sold and it is not for sale. Fishing will continue, but we need rain.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast