Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, first time at Silverwood

Default Help, first time at Silverwood

Hi All,
    Taking my wife and daughter to Silverwood sunday. Any particular shore spots better than others? We won't be taking a boat out. If you don't want your spot to blow up, I'll take a PM. Looking for pretty much anything... Trout, Bass, Cats, Stripers... Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Hi All,
    Taking my wife and daughter to Silverwood sunday. Any particular shore spots better than others? We won't be taking a boat out. If you don't want your spot to blow up, I'll take a PM. Looking for pretty much anything... Trout, Bass, Cats, Stripers... Thanks in advance!
    Cleghorn near the swim beach area has been good for trout. Just look for the crowd of ppl

I agree with bowler. Lot six has a small dock, fish on the beach to the right. Brown trout love them some nightcrawlers. Make sure to bring plenty of them.

I would mirror what everyone else has said. And along with nightcrawlers I would have a small selection of dough baits (Garlic Chunky Cheese and Hatchery Pellet are my faves) Have fun with the Family and give us a report!

Thanks everyone! We will probably only fish for an hour or so. But if I have ANY success I will report back!

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Thanks everyone! We will probably only fish for an hour or so. But if I have ANY success I will report back!
    Good luck and check out my friends YouTube channel re:cast fishing in SoCal because we fished there a few times off the shore for trout and did good.

Yea the swimbeach is the ONLY place to catch trout (maybe just a little sarcasm in that response). If you desire a more quiet experience and don't mind a small hike check out the creek inlet areas. Last plant had a lot of rainbows which seem to have different habits than the browns and the rainbows are in the creek inlets where oxygen and water temps are more to their liking.

Hey Goodguy - It just came to my memory, not knowing what direction you are coming from or where you live, but the back road from Silverwood into Victorville takes you right by the Trout Hatchery (I'd say it's probably about 30 minutes from Silverwood). https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...s/Mojave-River For a family outing a visit there can be fun.
    For that matter, in Victorville right down the road from the hatchery is Mojave Narrow Regional Park. Not the same as fishing Silverwood, but still a cool place that is stocked.

Mohave has not been stocked for several weeks and although I am sure there are some still in there the shallow water and warm temps would make fishing more difficult I would think for trout. But I believe the cat dumps have begun so there is always that.

The hatchery is full of fish from fingerlings to stocking size. They repopulated the place after all the work that was done that closed it down so it's probably a great time to go feed um. Watch out though when they start going crazy over the pellets I get withdrawal symptoms thinking about striper boils!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Traveling with 2 ladies (1-41 and 1-16) means you operate on a different schedule lol... We stopped at Bass Pro on our way and picked up a few things. Didn't get to Silverwood until around 3. All the decent spots I was hoping to get were taken and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO windy. I could've gotten to a decent spot with a hike. But the ladies weren't down... We hung out there and appreciated the view, walked around, and had a beer. It was so windy, we figured we'd continue up the road to Gregory which I've always had great luck at. It was windy there too, but just enough that I felt like I had a chance at a couple. Only fished for about an hour, mostly chilled out and ate a picnic dinner on the shore with my ladies. Great day, didn't see one fish except the jumper near me up at Gregory. There's always next time!
    Last edited by goodguy; 05-22-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast