Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: balboa lake report (encino) am sesh

TD I hear you man and Ill take you up on the jelly sandwich. Ill post a pic next time I catch one just fish the bottom the big ones tend to travel in small schools so if you catch a few chances are there aren't any more in that same spot. I don't eat the fish there but if someone wants to let them and I am glad you understand that. Good fishing buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SO818CAL View Post
    Is there any bass in the LA River before Sepulveda Dam?
    I don't really fish the River, although I walked that area a few times I didn't see anything aside from a few some small baitfish. A few spots might be worth checking out if you were in a yak or canoe though.

TD

I'm surprised you were able to see anything in that water, lol. It's a dark OD green. Maybe one day I'll throw a drop shot rig in there an see what comes out.

I wonder what those tilapia are feeding on boiling like that???? Are there baitfish in that lake?

Cannibalism lol. So many sizes of tilapia

Quote Originally Posted by drc521 View Post
    Cannibalism lol. So many sizes of tilapia
    That's very likely the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    The bigger ones are on the bottom I have caught ones double or triple the size of your lunker lol.
    2.5 lbs is the biggest i've got outta there, with the majority being in the 1 to 2 pound range.

I'm sure CityDad can attest to the pics he saw.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I wonder what those tilapia are feeding on boiling like that???? Are there baitfish in that lake?
    I haven't seen any baitfish, but I think the surface activity is from the smaller models eating particles of floating algae (if you run out of worms, wrap a chunk of that green slime on a hook and watch what happens), in addition there are TONS of small plecostomus in that body of water and they seem to "come up for air" in droves. When the water was clearer last fall I was able to see them very well.

Seems to be the average size for the better grade of tilapia right now....although yesterday I lost a fatty because I don't bother with a net when I go these days.

Get the kids out there while the bite is hot!

TD

That's a nice sized one TD. You ever catch a big carp or catfish? I personally haven't caught a big carp there, but I have caught one in a different body of water and I enjoyed the fight.
    Last edited by SO818CAL; 09-05-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Was out there this afternoon... it was hot out there! Both fishing and the weather.

Tons of baby tilapia and carp - they bite on anything on the hooks! If you use two small hooks, the "combo" hookups are pretty fun to bring up.

Just bring lots of water to drink.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast