Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castiac this weekend?

Default Castiac this weekend?

Woke up to yet another frosty morning in SoCal. Thought I'd left the cold weather behind me up in Canada. Anyway, I'm itching to start my LMB fishing lessons on this water. Is there any point trying this weekend with it being so cold? Also should I be trying the upper or the lagoon? I'm a shore fisherman.

Any advice would be welcome

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Barbelface View Post
    Woke up to yet another frosty morning in SoCal. Thought I'd left the cold weather behind me up in Canada. Anyway, I'm itching to start my LMB fishing lessons on this water. Is there any point trying this weekend with it being so cold? Also should I be trying the upper or the lagoon? I'm a shore fisherman.

Any advice would be welcome

Thx
    I think if you slow down your presentation, you'd have some success.

Although, I would try fishing the PM bite, hoping that the 2 or 3 degree temperature upswing in the afternoon would get the LMB (and SMB) moving a bit.

Good luck out there!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think if you slow down your presentation, you'd have some success.

Although, I would try fishing the PM bite, hoping that the 2 or 3 degree temperature upswing in the afternoon would get the LMB (and SMB) moving a bit.

Good luck out there!
    Thanks

Would senkos be a good idea to use? Im thinking of trying the upper as I've never fished it before. Fishing from shore on a casting rod. Should I Trig a senko or other plastc so I can cast further out?

Any tips would be great :)

Thanks

Would senkos be a good idea to use? Im thinking of trying the upper as I've never fished it before. Fishing from shore on a casting rod. Should I Trig a senko or other plastc so I can cast further out?

Any tips would be great :)
    I've never really given the lagoon a decent shot, especially since the upper has a lot more structure that I prefer.

I usually fish my Senkos fly lined without any weight. The salt content on them make them pretty heavy, and I like the more natural movement when they're fly lined.

And from my experience, even in the dead of winter, Castaic has fish that relate to shallow structure year around, so casting a longer distance isn't a variable.

I would also tend to drop shot, which allows your bait to be sitting in the strike zone for longer periods of time.

Regardless, fish slow.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I've never really given the lagoon a decent shot, especially since the upper has a lot more structure that I prefer.

I usually fish my Senkos fly lined without any weight. The salt content on them make them pretty heavy, and I like the more natural movement when they're fly lined.

And from my experience, even in the dead of winter, Castaic has fish that relate to shallow structure year around, so casting a longer distance isn't a variable.

I would also tend to drop shot, which allows your bait to be sitting in the strike zone for longer periods of time.

Regardless, fish slow.
    Thanks for the tips! I will give the upper lake near the damn a go this weekend. Cheers

Thanks for the tips! I will give the upper lake near the damn a go this weekend. Cheers
    Fished the upper lake all day. Walked and fished the damn wall and also tried the right side of the boat launch. Threw nearly every plastic I had, even went down to 4” magic worm (ultra finesse lol). Not one bite! Saw a ton of strippers come out on sardines and worms.Heard of a couple of smallies as well. Tough day... maybe I should get a guide and accelerate my learning...

FEB and MAR can be tough for sure from the shore on the upper.

I'd give the lagoon a shot next. DS gave you some sound advice.....go in the afternoon and take advantage of an afternoon warm up. Fish could be more active during this time.

If I were back home in Cali and fishing the goon in FEB Id canvass viable spots and have one set up -- A Ned Rig. Green Pumpkin or Brown with Black Flake on a nice shroom head on a spinning outfit. Chuck that badboy out as far as you can and fish it insanely slowwwwwwwwwwwww. Good search bait and you could cover a ton of area quite effectively.
    Last edited by CL SmooV; 02-14-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CL SmooV View Post
    FEB and MAR can be tough for sure from the shore on the upper.

I'd give the lagoon a shot next. DS gave you some sound advice.....go in the afternoon and take advantage of an afternoon warm up. Fish could be more active during this time.

If I were back home in Cali and fishing the goon in FEB Id canvass viable spots and have one set up -- A Ned Rig. Green Pumpkin or Brown with Black Flake on a nice shroom head on a spinning outfit. Chuck that badboy out as far as you can and fish it insanely slowwwwwwwwwwwww. Good search bait and you could cover a ton of area quite effectively.
    Another good tip, and this really goes for all SoCal waters, try to fish where others are not fishing.

There are several access points that are away from the main launch ramp that I head down, and then continue hiking away from the chaos that is the main launch ramp.

Use Google Maps as a hint on where to walk down, instead of starting your hike from the launch ramp.

Fished the upper lake all day. Walked and fished the damn wall and also tried the right side of the boat launch. Threw nearly every plastic I had, even went down to 4” magic worm (ultra finesse lol). Not one bite! Saw a ton of strippers come out on sardines and worms.Heard of a couple of smallies as well. Tough day... maybe I should get a guide and accelerate my learning...
    I'm not a very avid bass angler, but we had some very productive night sessions this past Summer at the lower lagoon. Solid drop shot action the week leading up to the full moon in particular. Shoot me a pm if you ever want to meet up out there, we'll be at the upper fishing stripers Saturday. (Thanks for the striper report btw)

Good luck, see you on the water!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    I'm not a very avid bass angler, but we had some very productive night sessions this past Summer at the lower lagoon. Solid drop shot action the week leading up to the full moon in particular. Shoot me a pm if you ever want to meet up out there, we'll be at the upper fishing stripers Saturday. (Thanks for the striper report btw)

Good luck, see you on the water!

TD
    Thanks for all the tips guys.

Troutdog…. I may take you up on that offer once the weather warms up a bit :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast