Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Bishop in January

Default Bishop in January

I'm going to be heading up to Bishop for the New Year. I want to go fishing while my family hits the slopes. I'm not to familiar with the area, and wanted to know where can I fish at this time of year?

PM me if you would like, I would take any advice, haven't fished the sierras in over three years.

Pleasant Valley reservior or a drift boat on the Lower Owens river would be the best bet for success. The Upper Owens above Lake Crowley if the weather allows (dress warm).

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Pleasant Valley reservior or a drift boat on the Lower Owens river would be the best bet for success. The Upper Owens above Lake Crowley if the weather allows (dress warm).
    Thanks, I've been to PVR a couple times but never knew it was a year round fishery.
    Where does the Lower Owens start from? From Bishop down?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Thanks, I've been to PVR a couple times but never knew it was a year round fishery.
    Where does the Lower Owens start from? From Bishop down?
    Lower Owens starts from below Pleasant Valley dam, first section is the wild trout section special regs in effect there watch for signs at turnout/parking or get a fish and game reg booklet at any sporting goods in Bishop. The Upper Owens, Pleasant Valley and the Lower Owens is open all year round. Special regs on the Upper Owens also.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Lower Owens starts from below Pleasant Valley dam, first section is the wild trout section special regs in effect there watch for signs at turnout/parking or get a fish and game reg booklet at any sporting goods in Bishop. The Upper Owens, Pleasant Valley and the Lower Owens is open all year round. Special regs on the Upper Owens also.
    got it! thanks for the info, hopefully i catch a few

The Upper Owens section that is open year around, is the section NORTH of Benton Crossing... South of Benton Crossing is closed until opening day....Some huge fish have been caught recently in the upper Owens if you can brave the frigid temps and snow on the ground..
    Last edited by retired96; 12-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.