Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Horton Lake (Inyo County)

Default Horton Lake (Inyo County)

I was checking out Google Maps and ran across Horton Lake. It is in the Bishop area. Has anyone been there that could provide any information on how difficult it is to get to. And how is the fishing. I checked online and it shows it has Brook (only).
    I am always ready for a new adventure. Looks like it was a mining operation many years ago.
    Thanks

My guidebook says its about 4.3 miles from a gate to the lake on a old mining road. If you look at the Google satellite map closely, you can see a white truck and a brown vehicle where the gate is supposed to be. There is a mining complex just off the trail a ways up, and a larger one at the lower lake. Looks like one hell of a rockslide at the upper lake. I'd imagine there would be some good brook trout fishing, especially if there is a meadow near the lake. Either way, it probably sees little fishing pressure. Good luck. It's about a 2000' climb over the 4.3 miles, most of it away from the creek, so bring plenty of water and a filter for when you get to the lake.

John

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Tom; 01-25-2015 at 08:32 AM.

There used to be really nice Goldens in the Upper...but it's sadly fallen victim to the the amphibian savers and the fish are being or have been removed. The lower has Brookies only, rumours of big ones but unsubstantiated and conflicting with the few folks I know who've actually gone. It's a beast of a hike...and that's a report from some of the gnarliest hikers I know. Most of the traffic is from those looking to climb Mt Tom as Horton is a popular staging area. I've heard the mining camp is pretty neat and there is still at least one cabin there...not sure it's worth the hike though.

Thanks for the replies.

Smitty, Your last comment says volumes. "not sure it's worth the hike though" Payoff vs. output. Like to have the odds in my favor. My fishing days have been significantly reduced. I was hoping for a quick (relatively painless) morning hike. Also considering an early season hike. This appeared to be at lower elevation, but I may have misread the map. Will put this one on the backburner for now.

PM me or email me when we get closer to your trip and I'll send you in the right direction...lots and lots of options if you're up for something in the same distance range as Horton.