Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kick the Dead Horse

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    But I thought Professor Devore said that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery though.

I dunno about you, but I tend to believe the guy who has the Confederate Flag flying high as his avatar.
    The South thought they needed slavery for their cotton because they were really arguing for International economics to sell their cotton. The North on the other hand wanted domestic economics. (the North felt the US should produce their own goods) So the North wanted Tariffs on foreign goods coming into the US, while the South needed the other country's to be able to sell their goods to the US without Tariffs. Otherwise the foreign country's would not be able to afford to buy the South's cotton!!!! Sounds a little bit like the same problem we are having today with China and other's doesn't it!!!!!

DS you obviously didn’t read the link or you would have seen that both the North and South were culpable and not guilt free. Politics, Central government, States rights and money paid a great part, a very great part in the Civil War and it didn’t have to happen and Slavery wasn’t the sole reason a great number of other factors were also in play.

The North had as big an interest in slavery as did the South it was called money and power. Let’s start with the value of the slave population. Steven Deyle shows that in 1860, the value of the slaves was “roughly three times greater than the total amount invested in banks,” and it was “equal to about seven times the total value of all currency in circulation in the country, three times the value of the entire livestock population, twelve times the value of the entire U.S. cotton crop and forty-eight times the total expenditure of the federal government that year.”

Slave-produced cotton “brought commercial ascendancy to New York City, was the driving force for territorial expansion in the Old Southwest and fostered trade between Europe and the United States.”

“Britain, the most powerful nation in the world, relied on slave-produced American cotton for over 80 per cent of its essential industrial raw material. English textile mills accounted for 40 percent of Britain’s exports. One-fifth of Britain’s twenty-two million people were directly or indirectly involved with cotton textiles.”

New England? “In 1860, for example, New England had 52 percent of the manufacturing establishments and 75 percent of the 5.14 million spindles in operation”. The same goes for looms. In fact, Massachusetts “alone had 30 percent of all spindles, and Rhode Island another 18 percent.” Most impressively of all, “New England mills consumed 283.7 million pounds of cotton, or 67 percent of the 422.6 million pounds of cotton used by U.S. mills in 1860.” In other words, on the eve of the Civil War, New England’s economy, so fundamentally dependent upon the textile industry, was inextricably intertwined, as Bailey puts it, “to the labor of black people working as slaves in the U.S. South.”

History is a generational thing. When I went to school we actually had to study American history, do homework and get tested on what we were taught in class. History was intense and not a watered down cliff’ notes summery style as today. We actually had to learn the Dewey Decimal System and learn how to do research in the library. We didn’t earn gold stars or blue ribbons for only showing up to class we could actually fail and be held back a grade. No feel good participation trophies to lift one’s self esteem you had to earn it whether in academics or athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    DS you obviously didn’t read the link or you would have seen that both the North and South were culpable and not guilt free. Politics, Central government, States rights and money paid a great part, a very great part in the Civil War and it didn’t have to happen and Slavery wasn’t the sole reason a great number of other factors were also in play.

The North had as big an interest in slavery as did the South it was called money and power. Let’s start with the value of the slave population. Steven Deyle shows that in 1860, the value of the slaves was “roughly three times greater than the total amount invested in banks,” and it was “equal to about seven times the total value of all currency in circulation in the country, three times the value of the entire livestock population, twelve times the value of the entire U.S. cotton crop and forty-eight times the total expenditure of the federal government that year.”

Slave-produced cotton “brought commercial ascendancy to New York City, was the driving force for territorial expansion in the Old Southwest and fostered trade between Europe and the United States.”

“Britain, the most powerful nation in the world, relied on slave-produced American cotton for over 80 per cent of its essential industrial raw material. English textile mills accounted for 40 percent of Britain’s exports. One-fifth of Britain’s twenty-two million people were directly or indirectly involved with cotton textiles.”

New England? “In 1860, for example, New England had 52 percent of the manufacturing establishments and 75 percent of the 5.14 million spindles in operation”. The same goes for looms. In fact, Massachusetts “alone had 30 percent of all spindles, and Rhode Island another 18 percent.” Most impressively of all, “New England mills consumed 283.7 million pounds of cotton, or 67 percent of the 422.6 million pounds of cotton used by U.S. mills in 1860.” In other words, on the eve of the Civil War, New England’s economy, so fundamentally dependent upon the textile industry, was inextricably intertwined, as Bailey puts it, “to the labor of black people working as slaves in the U.S. South.”

History is a generational thing. When I went to school we actually had to study American history, do homework and get tested on what we were taught in class. History was intense and not a watered down cliff’ notes summery style as today. We actually had to learn the Dewey Decimal System and learn how to do research in the library. We didn’t earn gold stars or blue ribbons for only showing up to class we could actually fail and be held back a grade. No feel good participation trophies to lift one’s self esteem you had to earn it whether in academics or athletics.
    And yet it was still all about slavery. You can't claim nonsense when it is in plain writing in the secession documents...

If the horse is dead then what is the point of this thread?

come on DOOD !

seriously?

Devore.
    Are you willing to admit that white people have written all of our history books?
    Are you willing to admit that you think it's all an accurate depiction of life back then?
    Anyone can go online and pull an article to show their point, especially if it's either positive for the south or negative against the south. They prove nothing. I am only speaking from personal experience living in the south growing up and having my own devout Christian mother use the N word when I was a kid. It was very confusing since I had a lot of black friends. I have seen how black people react to the flag and the types of people that proudly flew the flag and the way the acted. That's all I'm going off of. It is reality and not articles written by people to fashion some sort of sense out of the horrible fact of slavery and racism today.

Hate to show you wrong yet again Brent and bust your bubble but the text from my post#22 above came from the black Harvard professor Harry Gates. Have you ever read any of his writings or books, I have and it was before he became famous in the Cops acted stupidly thing. You can read the entire story here: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-amer...s-cotton-king/

Or you can read any number of article's he has authored/coauthored here. http://www.theroot.com/articles/history.html

With all the extremely dangerous issues our nation faces TODAY, this dead freaking horse just keeps on getting beaten. Bury it already and face the real issues that could potentially destroy this nation. Enough of this ridiculous bread and circus show...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post

With all the extremely dangerous issues our nation faces TODAY, this dead freaking horse just keeps on getting beaten. Bury it already and face the real issues that could potentially destroy this nation. Enough of this ridiculous bread and circus show...
    Good point, reminds me of the Voter ID issue or I should say NON ISSUE!!!!! John Oliver just did a bit on the same subject, verifying the numbers for all to see. (Yahoo news today) Between 2003-2015 with 1 Billion votes cast they found 31 cases of voter impersonation!!!! Yet state after state keeps passing Voter ID laws. (Missouri being the latest) Could there really be another HIDDEN agenda behind this laws????? We are all living in California, so I assume we are all smart enough to figure out the real reason!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-16-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post

Racism is a VERY REAL ISSUE. Your white so it is a dead horse to you, but I can promise with 100% certainty if you were black, you would feel a whole lot different.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast