Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been a long time. heres three reports in one!! SD County 7/28 - 7/30

Default Been a long time. heres three reports in one!! SD County 7/28 - 7/30

Wow, been a long time since I posted here or anywhere for that matter. Been so busy with the crazy Corvina bite down here in SD I haven't really had much time to post or if I did I was to tired to type up a report (a readable report anyway). Sooooo, with three days off in a row and with my son out school, wife starting work at 4:00am it was time to hit the sand for the first time this year. Started off Monday morning at 6:30am with the start of the incoming tide, almost no wind, water around 70-72, slight bit of salad which get pretty thick with the rising tide. Bait of choice for the session was the Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110, Metallic Sardine. Found amazing structure right away and went to work.

Try to make this short since I have three days to report. The first 15 minutes brought two short Halibut to the sand, but they were very feisty little guys and should make some great fun when they reach legal size.

That would be it for the Halibut on this day but as the tide was rising birds started diving and along with the bait the thick football size YFC moved in. These guys were pretty fun.

Ended the day with two short Hali's, 5 YFC and two BSP's.

Tuesday morning and the structure was still there but this time it was almost unfishable due to being filled with chopped up kelp and a ton of eel grass. Fished it and surrounding hole for one short Hali and that was it. No skunk, target species was found so still successful in my book!

Okay, Wednesday morning rolled around and I told Nick we were heading north to find some cleaner water. Arrived at the AO at 5:30am. Light breeze, the end of the low tide and super clean water. With that clean water came big surf and almost no structure, the beach was flat. Practiced casting for 30 minutes and then packed it up. I figured I would head back to the same area I had hit the last two days, I knew there were fish there but I also knew it might be tough with the salad situation. Checked it out and what do you know, that hole looked as good as ever, but unfortunately was once again filled with salad. Today the fish would have to come from flat areas with no visible structure since these areas were very clean. With the same bait tide on from the two previous days I went to work. 40 minutes into the session I get RAILED by something big but couldn't stick it. Ten minutes go by and I get bumped hard once again. This fish are out there! i move down the beach to some calmer looking water and start making long casts. About 5 minutes later I am hooked up to the right kind and it feels to be the right size or bigger. I get it close enough to see and knew it was a legal Hali. This fish was pretty lazy putting up a short fight. Got it to the sand for the tape shot, almost 25 inches and the first legal of the summer is in the books (took me three trips to find it!!).

One more shot with my guy mug in it!

Threw a few more casts and then called it a day. The legal was released to fight another day. Not a bad start to my summer Hali hunting. Looking forward to posting many more reports here this summer. Thanks for reading

Sweet,thanks for that!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great report Bob! Sounds like a great three day hunt. Takes most of us more than that to pull out a legal so I'd say you're well above par.

Congrats on the legal!
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 07-31-2014 at 10:17 AM.

thanks for the fun read. way to go out there buddy

Very nice write up! Great catch.

Thanks guys!!

Nice going out there bob! You set out to do exactly what you did, so big ups to you!!

Aah whats a little down time from fishing. You haven't lost a thing.
    Very nice selection of Fishes and a 25" HB. Not bad, not bad at all.

Summers not over yet.

WWO

Nice multi day report! I wish more of the YFC's I caught had some size like the ones you caught there. Congrats on the legal

Always good to see a post from you.
    Seems like you've been getting a lot of great fish.
    Cool to see that big YFC, and good sized halibut with a legal in the mix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast