Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Francisco Sturgeon fishing 3/6/2010

Dockboy: your so right about the weather up there. Fickle....like the sturgeon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman57 View Post
    Good stuff Rich....

Save me some of that "Magic Thread" that you bought......... looks like just the trick
    for fishing the surf with some GS......

Thanks for sharing......
    Done deal!! That stuff is, well, like MAGIC!! I bet it works wonders on chicken liver for catfishin' too!

...and thanks once again for picking up that shorty Kencor Panga rod for me. Dying to put a bendo on that....

Sorry about the no sturgies. Anyways i have a buddy who fishes sturgeon all the time. I am suprised i did not hear about the crab problem hitting the bay. Grass shrimp have been the hot bait . Loch Lomand near Corrigidor has been one of the hot spots. He also been getting a few south bay in between the two bridges. San Mateo Dumbarton bridge. The Napa River and Sanoma Creek have been hot. Slightly warmer there. Salinity is about a 6 to 8 witch is high. China Camp is hit or miss. Did you have a good tide? The pics show Gate, Alcatraz, i have never heard of sturgies in that spot. They have been pretty thick when its a herring spawn at Angel Island. Petaloma river in the city of Petuloma is hot from the city to highway 37 bridge. Suprised you did not see a leopard shark or a bat ray. He has been getting a lot of shaker sturgeon at the Martinez bridge so many he can fish them on bait casters 12 lb line. I am not sure where you went out from. I mean the location. The cattle boats go out and are averaging 2 sturgeon for 12 anglers. They do not report the shakers. All i know is the Landings are pissed off there gonna close the salmon season again.

Later Fishingbee
    Last edited by FISHINGBEE; 03-19-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Fishingbee,

As a courtesy to the guide, I did not put pics of his GPS or mention very specific spots. I am told certain channels work as highways and sturgeon are caught in the same spots over and over, hence the need to keep things on the "down low". Suffice it to say we were in San Pablo bay, and did have to move a couple times because the crabs were chewing the baits. Our tides for that day were not all that great, and if I recall, we weren't on the right moon phase either. We finished fishing in San Pablo in 5ft water (which kinda blew my mind). Even the guide agreed that if you want a good shot at at sturgeon to hit the delta rivers, but he did also emphasize that your chances of getting a trophy greenie or whitie were just as good this time of the year in San Pablo. I think right now they consider this the tail end of the bay sturgeon peak though.

I'll definately give this whole sturgeon thing another go around cause I hear they jump up pretty good to shake a hook, and can actually take a pretty long time to bring in!

You are also correct mentioning the herring spawn at Angel. The scope showed mega biomass, and I also noticed slashes (fast movers) when we cruised through the area, but we were I think one week away from the opener for that area, and besides, it's a striper spot really (per the guide), and we didn't want to mess with stripers. Interestingly, almost everyone uniformly agree that the best striper fishing (at least for quantity and in the bay) is right off Alcatraz. A whopping 15 minutes from the 2 landings! LOL !! As for the surf guys fishing striper: they are nutzo in my book. Super cold water and washing machine conditions, add a Great White here and there....yikes.

I was thoroughly amazed at the quality of striper people catch up there....they make the SoCal guys look silly. Apparently there's a spot in San Pablo where DFG (for reasons unknown) stock subcatchable trout for 2 weeks in a row. Apparently the guys line up their boats in the bay where the particular river gets stocked, and naturally, they throw hardbaits for the striper that come to dinner. I cannot recall which river the guide said, but he did say it was kinda comical how good the fishing can get, and how DFG is simply flushing money away.

You mention leopards or bat rays....I'll take a pass on that stuff. No disrespect for the bat ray / leopard guys that get a thrill catching them, but I got over them after my first year in San Diego. Not exactly rocket science, nor elusive.

Salmon: there is talk that IF it does happen, that it will be slotted and 1 per angler. That's what the bait shop lady said. Who knows. Either way, it is killing the landings cause a lot of regulars are going to rethink paying $90 for just one salmon, again, per the guide and bait shop lady who were commiserating.

Sansou,
    Nice trip despite not getting on the Sturgeon. But the important thing is gathering the knowledge like you said, WTG on the recon. Wow! alot of the pixs reminded me of the many trips to that area. My ex and I traveled up there several times out of the year. He had reserves once a month in Dublin so many times we took a trip up to the Bay during free time, I always wanted to fish off of some of the small areas near the ol' Base there. I saw plenty of people pull in a variety of nice fish. Thanks for the great post and the pixs and I can't wait to see your future sturgeon post. I saw the date of your trip and like TD I was saying "sweet, back to back fishing trips" ......gotta love it!

NG

Wow, Sturgeon fishing sounds so interesting. Looks like a lot of work too. Cool color and pattern on that Flounder. Thanks for the excellent report and some awesome pics Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Fishingbee,

As a courtesy to the guide, I did not put pics of his GPS or mention very specific spots. I am told certain channels work as highways and sturgeon are caught in the same spots over and over, hence the need to keep things on the "down low". Suffice it to say we were in San Pablo bay, and did have to move a couple times because the crabs were chewing the baits. Our tides for that day were not all that great, and if I recall, we weren't on the right moon phase either. We finished fishing in San Pablo in 5ft water (which kinda blew my mind). Even the guide agreed that if you want a good shot at at sturgeon to hit the delta rivers, but he did also emphasize that your chances of getting a trophy greenie or whitie were just as good this time of the year in San Pablo. I think right now they consider this the tail end of the bay sturgeon peak though.

I'll definately give this whole sturgeon thing another go around cause I hear they jump up pretty good to shake a hook, and can actually take a pretty long time to bring in!

You are also correct mentioning the herring spawn at Angel. The scope showed mega biomass, and I also noticed slashes (fast movers) when we cruised through the area, but we were I think one week away from the opener for that area, and besides, it's a striper spot really (per the guide), and we didn't want to mess with stripers. Interestingly, almost everyone uniformly agree that the best striper fishing (at least for quantity and in the bay) is right off Alcatraz. A whopping 15 minutes from the 2 landings! LOL !! As for the surf guys fishing striper: they are nutzo in my book. Super cold water and washing machine conditions, add a Great White here and there....yikes.

I was thoroughly amazed at the quality of striper people catch up there....they make the SoCal guys look silly. Apparently there's a spot in San Pablo where DFG (for reasons unknown) stock subcatchable trout for 2 weeks in a row. Apparently the guys line up their boats in the bay where the particular river gets stocked, and naturally, they throw hardbaits for the striper that come to dinner. I cannot recall which river the guide said, but he did say it was kinda comical how good the fishing can get, and how DFG is simply flushing money away.

You mention leopards or bat rays....I'll take a pass on that stuff. No disrespect for the bat ray / leopard guys that get a thrill catching them, but I got over them after my first year in San Diego. Not exactly rocket science, nor elusive.

Salmon: there is talk that IF it does happen, that it will be slotted and 1 per angler. That's what the bait shop lady said. Who knows. Either way, it is killing the landings cause a lot of regulars are going to rethink paying $90 for just one salmon, again, per the guide and bait shop lady who were commiserating.
    There ae two rocks at Alcatraz max. striper drifting is about 1 to 2 minutes. If you do not get slammed reel in and retry the drift. As for Alcatraz being one of best spots i agree. But this is only between June to Sept. The Stripers start to make there way out of all the Rivers and Deltas. The best spots are all in areas a peak times. Like the Brothers rock and the Sisters rock in Suisun Bay. South bay has Candlestick cove Oyster Point Coyote Pt San Mateo Pier The Brisbane tubes Alemeda break wall. North bay Alcatraz , Raccoon Straights Emeryville, Treasure Island, Flats at Berekely so on. The all time hottest striper spot had to be South Tower Golden Gate bridge. Theres a series of rock macking huge high spots. Strong tides stripers trap the bait and gordge. All extremely big fish 20 t0 40 lb range. My PB 36 lbs on a bugeye at the Tower at 9 years old. Sorry to say it is illegal to fish the Towers any more. Then out to the beaches in the summer for Anchovy searching and big stripers. Mussel roak Pacifica inc. the Pier. I used to catch Stripers and Salmon off the pier. Through out a weight as far as possible. Use a cork bobber so on snap swivel ten foot or so liter. An anchovy threaded to hide the hook. That is how it is done. Surf fishing the beaches Stensen Beach where you mention white sharks. Farlon island Sharks more Sharks seen a few.

As for Leopards and Bats they are more bigger and stronger in the Bays. Seven Gill Six Gill sharks over 300 lbs are much more deserving of a fight much greater than Sturgeon. These Turkey tasting Sharks are almost impossible to bring in deep water and strong tides. Hunters Point comes to mind and a seven gill i fought for hours only to snap it off. Midshipmen and squid work well. The sharks leopards and rays eat at Sturgeon spots at times. Mostly the deeper spots.

Sturgeon i have caught hundreds of these varments. South bay was our hottest spots. Specially in December and some rain. One day at the Dumbarton bridge my brother and father caught 26 Sturgeon on grass shrimp baits. Dumbarton, San Mateo to Candlestick cove wher we got our 180 lb sturgeon. Talk about Marlin like jumps we had to pull anchor drift with the bad boy. Noth bay Angel island at herring spawn. San Pablo pump house China camp ets. Suison bay many bouy markings and Mothball fleet. Rivers inc. Napa Petuloma Delta Sacto.

Baits for stripers consist of many different baits. Pile worms shrimps Anchovy Shiner pearch bull head mudsuckers Herring . Lures consist of Kast masters krocs hair raisers broke back rebels bango bees swim baits new Robo Swim baits are awesome.

Sorry it took me so long to respond hope i did not bore you thanks!

FISHINGBEE
    Last edited by FISHINGBEE; 04-01-2010 at 03:59 PM.

I enjoyed the pictures and report. Thank you for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12