Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL Intel. Long

Default DVL Intel. Long

Alright guys, it's been a while since I've posted on the forum. Been doing my own thing lately off the radar. Saltwater fishin, taking a break and otherwise getting myself back on track to hit the lake hard.

Well, it's no surprise that the majority of anglers are avoiding DVL. On more than one trip I could literally count the amount of trailers in the lot on one hand. Unfortunately, many guys are hearing through the grapevine that DVL is slow, low, losing water and is going to close. While the water was going down at an insane rate, for the past few weeks it has stabilized and isn't fluctuating nearly as much. The launch is fine, the lakes doin okay and the fishing is great.

With stable water brings stable fishing. Right now I have to tell you that the bite is pretty stupid. It's just a matter of how you approach it. A lot of guys in the Summer months struggle seeing as how the fish are all over the place. You can get them deep, shallow, suspended in wolf packs etc. etc. The biggest thing that you need to assess is #1 FORAGE #2 THERMOCLINE and #3 WEATHER.

If you're hungry where are you going to position yourself?
    IN THE REFRIGERATOR, DRIVE THROUGH OR AT THE DINNER TABLE

If you're having a hard time breathing indoors where you gonna go?
    A PLACE WITH ADEQUATE OXYGEN

If it's bright outside and you forgot your sunglasses are you going to go indoors or in the shade or stay outdoors where it's uncomfortable? What about when it's overcast? Are you going to feel comfortable moving around?
    I KNOW FOR DAMN SURE i'M GOING TO WHEREEVER IT'S THE MOST COMFORTABLE.

A lot of guys are failing to think about fish positioning based on forage, thermocline and weather conditions. The biggest thing all of us do, including myself, fall into the trap of "doing what we want to do" versus "doing what we need to do". A couple trips back I wasn't catching them. I was having a brutal time and could only manage rats. While all the signs were there to fish smaller baits; I chose to continue to charge hard with the big bait. Well that left me in a bad spot. It wasn't until i downsized, even slightly, when I started to put them in the boat.

Couple Tips:
    Fish right now are holding at all levels but 15-25' on offshore structure spots, main lake points and on otherwise rocky bank seems to be the sweet spot. With the thermocline hovering in the 30' zone, Bass will position themselves at the lowest point, sometimes beyond, on structure. Imagine that layer of water being the difference between oxygen and no oxygen.

Now you gotta think forage. Right now there's a plethora of life in the water. Big schools of silversides, bluegill and bass are ALL OVER THE PLACE! With the afternoon winds kicking up at a good clip, a lot of the fin fish is forced to position, not only from the current but from the fish, on main lake wind blown shorelines. If the forage is there; cross #1 off your list. Knowing that the thermocline is roughly 30', focus on areas where the fish have the ability to move up and feed then be able to retreat back to their holding areas in the quickest amount of time. Not only is it convenient but these pressured fish have learned its the safest way to feed besides at night.

Now that you've isolated forage and depth zone all you have to do is figure out feeding times whether it be in the morning or evening. The fish are wolf packing hard right now in big numbers. Think sunlight, think stealth and think strategy. While bass are free spirited like ourselves, they can feed whenever they want but choose to do so when chance meets opportunity. When its crystal clear, flat and high noon it doesn't stack up in the bass's favor to cruise around and mawl bait although it does happen. Bass are like criminals. They want to be concealed and sneak up when you least expect them to. Low light, wind blown and overcast conditions have been critical.

When the days just don't stack in my favor, I've been smart enough to dump my "favorite rods" and pick up baits that suit it. The dropshot rod has been on the deck a lot lately. When it's hot, inactive and other wise just downright bad, I've been drop shotting 4-6" worms in watermelon purple. I'm on 4# fluoro, size #1 hook and a leader length the same length as the worm I'm fishing. The bite has literally been dumb. As long as you're in the zone where the fish are hanging and are listening to the clues that are given it's been solid. There was one spot yesterday where i made 3 casts and caught 3 fish. There are a lot of 7-14" fish right now but for every 3-5 you catch, you're catching a fish in the 3-4# class which makes it pretty fun! Angles haven't made too much difference the last couple trips

On the other hand, when the days stack in my favor and some days just "dumb luck", I've been doing work lately throwing swimbaits in various sizes. Baits as little as the Megabass Spark Shad all the way up to the Roman Made Mother. The key has been to listen to what mother nature is telling you. Forage, Thermocline and Weather. Pick areas that stack in your favor and give it all you got!

I know guys are struggling out here so I figured I'd dump a little on how I've been getting bit. Gotta share the wealth! With the fishing the way it is, people need to get out there!

If you have any questions stop into Last Chance Bait and Tackle and I'll do my best to break it down for you!
    951-658-7410
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10613050_858493850842555_875988337111721282_n.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	45068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10703503_856160961075844_7118572868134645372_n.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	45067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10649736_859393454085928_3980229333977824291_n.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	45065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10616532_856161077742499_4998757142495863326_n.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	45066  

Matt, thank you - a friend and I are thinking of hitting DVL (first time for both of us) in the coming weeks (bought another boat seat to allow me to fish). Very useful information.

Wurz

Excellent post Matt, good to see your back from the "other side", lol. We took a two week break from DVL and fished Perris with good success but the lake lice truly sucks there. What we found when we got back to DVL last Tuesday was exactly as you described. There is a great bite going on there in-spite of the heat and I'm loving all the new, or old actually, structure to fish due to the lower lake level...

Thank you for sharing the great info!

Once again, I always appreciate your posts. Thank you

No problem guys! Fishing has been pretty fun and it's only getting better with not only the stability of the water level but also the lack of fisherman. The fish are rested and they're CHEWING! I figure I'd just throw it out in the open that the bite's on. I've had my fun.

A big thank you to you Matt and all the info you freely give. I know it really helps me when I get a chance to go out, lately I am lucky if I can go once every 6 weeks, and the lake is a different place every time I go, really makes make think about where the fish are and how they are acting. I get there and try my best to get a game plan going, if something is not working, change it up........Going tomorrow, looking forward to a great day on the lake......will post my results.....

you got this! go crush them and remember what i always preach. FISH THE WIND!!!!