Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Trolling with a Castaic Rental

Default Trolling with a Castaic Rental

I have no room at my house to house a boat so I need to make due with the rental til I move in a few years. Can someone give some advice on how to troll with the Castaic rental boats. Are they too fast to troll? I just bought some umbrella rigs and a portable fish finder with some trolling rods/line counter. A question i have is has anyone come up with some good ideas as to how to make rod holders for the rental boats. Anyone have success trolling with the rentals? Thanks ahead!

as for trolling with rentals, dave does it all the time. as for how to do it proper, go out with TO on a 1/2 day to learn it if you haven;t yet.

As for rod holders, i've made something for the castiac that lets you troll with 2 rods if you are interested. Asking $30 to just cover the cost of the supplies. It is pretty professional and includes safety ring so your rods wont get ripped out and lost. I started out doing a lot of trolling with the rentals after going out with TO and the rentals work.

I have trolled once or twice in the castaic rentals.... The boat at a little more than idle, is a good speed, roughly as fast as you walk, maybe a little faster, you have to experiment.... My pole holder consists of 4 10# plates from sports chalet, the cheaper metal ones, which fit nicely in a 5 gallon bucket, I bought a piece of 1 1/4 PVC pipe which I cut off at the top of the bucket, beveled with a file and sanded on the inside so you dont damaged your rod, put a couple of wooden dowels in to keep things firm. I straddle the back bench one hand one the tiller the other on my rod which rests against the bench by my other foot. I bought an inexpensive humminbird fishing buddy 120 model, which clamps on the side of the boat, so I can see the depth, and more importantly what is going on under the surface. The whole umbrella rig thing is a different story. I was taught by T/O, Bob, not only how to assemble the u rig, but what to use a baits also, you really have to experiment with that.....Beyond that, practice, practice, practice...................Dave