Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Full Limits of Catfish for the whole lake at Guasti!!

Default Full Limits of Catfish for the whole lake at Guasti!!

I took my friend Phil a couple of weeks ago to Guasti and we did pretty good. (at least one of us did that day) But I at least had plenty of bites. I said I was going to go back to the drawing board and in true coyote fashion (Road Runner reference) I came up with a new plan. My bread & butter rig has always been the slip bobber with a Carolina bottom rig as my back up plan. I also had a secret weapon, I'll just call this rig, "the ancient Chinese secret."

The first trip we did a couple of weeks ago was so encouraging we wanted to go back for the last catfish stocking of the Season. We assumed it would be the Labor Day weekend. (Boy how wrong we were!!) They skipped the Labor Day weekend and made the final catfish plant Thursday Sept 7. We did learn they reconsidered fishing on Thursday the day they stocked the fish. I guess their logic was the truck didn't get there till 1:00 pm and they closed at 5:00 pm, so how much damage could people do in that short period of time. The answer to that was plenty!!!! Everyone who showed up and fished the small lake caught something and the vast majority of the people I saw caught their limit of Catfish. Nice ones too!! Nothing under 2 pounds and most were 3-4 pounders. Most people were fishing with Shrimp and a Marshmallow on a Carolina rig and did just great!!! Me and Phil started off with a slip bobber with Shrimp or Mealworms as bait. We caught a few but the other people who were fishing bottom rigs were kicking butt!!

It was then I tried the ancient Chinese secret rig and started catching fish. I ended up catching 6 Catfish on the ancient Chinese secret rig. Phil stuck to a slip boober with Shrimp and caught 7 Catfish. I caught 2 other fish on the Slip bobber rig for a total of 15 Catfish for the 2 of us. (we C&R all of them) Not bad considering two things, the fish were all real nice 2-4 pounders with most of them were about 3 pounds and we only fished between 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Plus we missed a fair amounts of bites!! So to say the least we had a lot of action in a short period of time. Not just for us but everyone else who showed up that day!!

What was that ancient Chinese secret??? Power Bait!!!! Not just any Power Bait but Gulp Chunky Cheese with Garlic dipped in Garlic. The cool part about that rig was the kind of pole you could use and how you set the hook. I had a 7 1/2 foot noodle pole and the fish set the hook themselves in the rod holder. So just pick up the pole and enjoy the fight!!! That's it for the year on Catfish stocking at Guast. No one gave any reports on the San Bernadino lakes this year for the Catfish season. So it kinda flew under the Radar!! Next year I'll be locked and loaded to fish it!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-07-2017 at 09:52 PM.

That rig seemed to do well,new to me,it's been awhile since I've been to that lake for trout mostly,by the way I've been waiting to see Glenn,he said he was gonna bring me back some bounty from up north,guess I'll swing by his pad.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    That rig seemed to do well,new to me,it's been awhile since I've been to that lake for trout mostly,by the way I've been waiting to see Glenn,he said he was gonna bring me back some bounty from up north,guess I'll swing by his pad.

Cya Tuna Vic
    We are fishing tomorrow, so Tuesday we be a good day to swing by.

Great read Tuck, maybe Tuesday after the kids at school, I haven't done the slip boober trick in 25 years. I was single then. My power bait didn't include a shrimp, just finesse. Lost that trick. Phil what's the secret ?
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 09-10-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    Great read Tuck, maybe Tuesday after the kids at school, I haven't done the slip boober trick in 25 years. I was single then. My power bait didn't include a shrimp, just finesse. Lost that trick. Phil what's the secret ?
    The Power bait trick is interesting. I didn't come up with that one myself at that lake. I borrowed it from another fishermen years ago who was doing really well with it. He told me the San Bernadino County lakes Catfish really like the Gulp Chucky Cheese Garlic fished by itself!!! Just put it on a treble hook just like your fishing for trout with a short leader. As for Phil trick, is the slip bobber with a whole shrimp on a number 2 bait holder hook. Everybody else's trick was shrimp with a marshmallow on a Carolina rig. They caught so many Catfish that day out of the little lake, I doubt there is much left. So if you go be willing to fish both lakes. That lake sure flew under the radar this year. Next year that's not going to happen to me!! I'm warning Seal right now, "Be prepared next summer to read about etucker being the pond catfish King again!!" lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-11-2017 at 06:56 AM.