Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: San Gabes Trip Video Report: Trashed by Gold miners, trout say goodbye

When I used to go there,it was never prospectors leaving the mess and trash,it was the general public,food wrappers,beverage cans,diapers,ect,ect..just saying.

Cya Tuna Vic

2. Default

In general, I agree: Most of the water bottles, beer cans, plastic bags, dirty diapers, grafiti, and dammed up swimming holes is due to weekend lowlifes.

However, on this trip, I was disgusted by the destruction wrought by the prospectors. Most noticeable was the holes littering the shoreline, trapping fry, and leaving stagnant water sitting around where it could be in the creek proper. In addition, the re-channeling for sluice box placement does not help the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    However, on this trip, I was disgusted by the destruction wrought by the prospectors. Most noticeable was the holes littering the shoreline, trapping fry, and leaving stagnant water sitting around where it could be in the creek proper. In addition, the re-channeling for sluice box placement does not help the stream.
    It's easier to focus on the illegals dumping trash, tho.

The prospectors are the ones that will wave the US flag around and protest "land grabbing" when something is done to eliminate their destruction.

I wonder do they do that kind of **** to their property.....
    Quote Originally Posted by noleash View Post
    Big Rock creek Trashed.....Upper "T" Trashed.... Frenchmans Flats Trashed...... One thing I will say about the lack of Trout is This........At the Frenchmans Flats I was witness to why this condition existed.........Group of non taxpaying citizens dragging a net accross and up the whole length of the stream.........What was a thriving trout fishery had become a chub Hole! SOLUTION....Public Outcry...Petitions...Office Heads in charge of protecting these resources A ROLLING...Armed Law enforcement...INS sweeps....GOOD LUCK...but having grown up in UTAH and having a passion for small stream Trout fishing I do believe the San Gabrial resources are definately worth fighting for!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    It's easier to focus on the illegals dumping trash, tho.

The prospectors are the ones that will wave the US flag around and protest "land grabbing" when something is done to eliminate their destruction.
    But the graffiti is just modern art right? Got something against the US flag DS? Funny how you minimize what's truly doing the vast majority of the amount of damage, yet use the American flag in sarcasm ridiculing those who believe in less government intrusion. In the vid above, the so called "prospector damage" I saw looked like a fairly new pair of rubber boots set on the ground, a pack of Marlboro cigs that looked new enough to still have some in it, a few animal dens dug under a tree, a few rocks moved that will be moved again in the next torrential downpour, if one ever happens again, and a couple of holes see last sentence...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 10-21-2014 at 09:32 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    But the graffiti is just modern art right? Got something against the US flag DS? Funny how you minimize what's truly doing the vast majority of the amount of damage, yet use the American flag in sarcasm ridiculing those who believe in less government intrusion. In the vid above, the so called "prospector damage" I saw looked like a fairly new pair of rubber boots set on the ground, a pack of Marlboro cigs that looked new enough to still have some in it, a few animal dens dug under a tree, a few rocks moved that will be moved again in the next torrential downpour, if one ever happens again, and a couple of holes see last sentence...
    If you are mistaking those prospector holes for animals dens, then perhaps another video is in order.
    There is no question that gold prospectors negatively impact water quality or trout habitat.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...12056/abstract
    http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publication...arveyLisle.pdf

Of course, as I have already pointed out, the weekend crowds do a number on the creek as well. In particular, the damming up of the creek to form swimming holes is also detrimental. I've taken a knife to many of the plastic tarp dams found along these creeks and removed the happily.

Both negatively impact the creek. Defending one while arguing over the other just picking and choosing willy nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by noleash View Post
    Big Rock creek Trashed.....Upper "T" Trashed.... Frenchmans Flats Trashed...... One thing I will say about the lack of Trout is This........At the Frenchmans Flats I was witness to why this condition existed.........Group of non taxpaying citizens dragging a net accross and up the whole length of the stream.........What was a thriving trout fishery had become a chub Hole! SOLUTION....Public Outcry...Petitions...Office Heads in charge of protecting these resources A ROLLING...Armed Law enforcement...INS sweeps....GOOD LUCK...but having grown up in UTAH and having a passion for small stream Trout fishing I do believe the San Gabrial resources are definately worth fighting for!
    You are 100% correct Sir but the undocumented non-citizens are being granted everything by our liberal lame *** government along w/ drivers licenses.

Hopefully the creek gets a good flushing this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffingh View Post
    You are 100% correct Sir but the undocumented non-citizens are being granted everything by our liberal lame *** government along w/ drivers licenses.
    Agreed but wait for it, mountain Yellow-legged frogs and Steelheads are going to become a huge issue re: stocking Trout in those streams and connecting bodies of water...

Maybe DFW will try to eradicate any trout left Yosemite-style since president Obola just declared the Gabes a national monument. And are those "urban petroglyphs" going to be federally protected like the mountain yellow legged steelhead that the trout are supposedly threatening?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast