Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirman Lake Cutthroats

Default Kirman Lake Cutthroats

So this lake is known to hold big brook trout and some harder to catch cutthroat trout that also get large. I went for the brookies, but they were all sitting on shore trying to spawn and could care less about a hook. I got some underwater video of them. Started trolling around and bam a big cutt... must have been 4 pounds. Let that one go. Kept trolling around the lake and when I hit the same spot bam. Another one except this one went on run after run, must have fought nearly ten minutes. The biggest trout I've ever caught in California for sure. Hooked up on a third right as I was trolling to shore to beach the boat and hike out. This one was badly gill hooked and when I removed the hook she was bleeding like a fire hose. Bled out so she came to dinner. So no Brookies for me but I'll have to put some underwater footage together and make the video of Kirman as well. Will post later when I get around to it. Here's some pics for now.

Also fished June Lake Loop - Grant, Silver, Rush Creek without much luck. Grant is way way way low but had a few follows and strikes by the dam off shore! Guys were hauling the miny stockers out of Silver right by the exit stream and I wasn't interested so took off.

Tried June lake and had a bit more success with spoons off shore, caught a bunch of rainbows in the evening. This was the biggest one.

Next day hiked into McLeod Lake and the water level was way lower then when I fished it last september. There wasn't much fish action either. Only caught a couple small cutts and they weren't very active otherwise. So we hiked out and headed to the Owens River Below the Monument for an evening fish. Saw some little guys and had some little biters, but nothing stuck. No big fish seen. Disappointing. A few guys fishing below as well but we didn't see anyone hooking up.

So that's my quick three day fall fishing trip. First day was the best sure glad I went to Kirman for the first time! Awesome little pond. (I may have got lucky though 6 other guys were out that day and only one said they caught one cutt in the early am before I even got there, a lot of skunks for the others)

I have never been to Kirman, curious how far is the walk to the lake and is it a easy walk....Have a bad foot and can't risk something to strenuous..

Beautiful shots you took. Nice trip for sure.

Awesome pictures and colors!!! WTG bro.....good stuff, thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    I have never been to Kirman, curious how far is the walk to the lake and is it a easy walk....Have a bad foot and can't risk something to strenuous..
    It's a three mile hike in mostly a gentle grade with a couple small hill and one large steep hill at the end. It isn't great for shore fishing so you'd have to carry a boat or float tube. You also have to craw over a couple fence ladders. If you have a bad foot I would say it will be challenging but worth it.

Thanks guys.

Is the water there deep? What kind of bait is recommended to use?

This lake has special regulations. NO BAIT! Barbless hooks, artificial lures or flies only. The limit is two fish over 16 inches. I don't know the depth of the lake. This is a trophy lake not necessarily for meat hunters if that is all you're after.

Thanks calicanunk!!
    I'm looking to catch a big trout. I'm tired of catching planted trout lol btw where can I find all the rules for this lake? I looked at the fish and game website but I cannot locate it.
    Last edited by lunker-hunter209; 10-31-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker-hunter209 View Post
    Thanks calicanunk!!
    I'm looking to catch a big trout. I'm tired of catching planted trout lol btw where can I find all the rules for this lake? I looked at the fish and game website but I cannot locate it.
    Check here for current regulations on Kirman Lake,
    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations
    Click on the link,
    2014-2015 Freshwater Sport Fishing Booklet (PDF) Page 46

Great report, excellent pictures....nice going!

TD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast