Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Tuesday short session. 5/4/21

Default Tuesday short session. 5/4/21

Hey all,
    Went to Carlsbad this morning around 5:15 ( gray light ).

The rip tides were supposed to die down yesterday evening, well they didn't.
    I won't say it was like a washing machine out there, but it wasn't pretty.

The high tide was at 4:15ish at 4.25 ft.
    Carlsbad is normally a good spot for tides in between 3.5-2 ft.

When I drove by last week to check out conditions there I saw a very nice trough
    that would be doable at around 3-4 ft.
    That's why I arrived early.

Fished the area for 2 hours without even a nibble.
    98% of my retrieves had salad.
    As you all know you aren't going to catch anything when your plastic is trailing eel grass...

Last thing, water temp was spot on at 60 degrees.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert
    <><

Well, that might throw a wrench in my plans. Heading south to take the wife for a Mother's Day weekend. Was thinking of heading out there. May have to take a left at Albuquerque now. lol!

THank you for update from down south. Well, there is no doubt a lot of green in the water. I came out to my halibutt hole to see a guy walking back from it: got 2 shorts and had many hits on plastics. Since I was there anyway I tossed the LC in open channels and still raked a lot, but got a hit and brough in an energetic 19 incher . The other day went to north LA county and launched on a board in a new place which was a non-stop calico attack, including an especially heavy one I horsed that turned out to be ~20 " hali.
    No kelp but bottom rocks seem to have bait and predators around. If swells cooperate I think it can be on if you find clear water.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Hey all,
    Went to Carlsbad this morning around 5:15 ( gray light ).

The rip tides were supposed to die down yesterday evening, well they didn't.
    I won't say it was like a washing machine out there, but it wasn't pretty.

The high tide was at 4:15ish at 4.25 ft.
    Carlsbad is normally a good spot for tides in between 3.5-2 ft.

When I drove by last week to check out conditions there I saw a very nice trough
    that would be doable at around 3-4 ft.
    That's why I arrived early.

Fished the area for 2 hours without even a nibble.
    98% of my retrieves had salad.
    As you all know you aren't going to catch anything when your plastic is trailing eel grass...

Last thing, water temp was spot on at 60 degrees.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert
    <><
    Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Well, that might throw a wrench in my plans. Heading south to take the wife for a Mother's Day weekend. Was thinking of heading out there. May have to take a left at Albuquerque now. lol!
    Hey Don,
    Sheila has to work this weekend and I might work one day.
    let me know what day you were thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    THank you for update from down south. Well, there is no doubt a lot of green in the water. I came out to my halibutt hole to see a guy walking back from it: got 2 shorts and had many hits on plastics. Since I was there anyway I tossed the LC in open channels and still raked a lot, but got a hit and brough in an energetic 19 incher . The other day went to north LA county and launched on a board in a new place which was a non-stop calico attack, including an especially heavy one I horsed that turned out to be ~20 " hali.
    No kelp but bottom rocks seem to have bait and predators around. If swells cooperate I think it can be on if you find clear water.
    No problem!
    I will be heading up north at least a couple times this season, now that I am semi retired...
    Was going to head out this morning but had an emergency work call for a good amount of change...

Take it easy,
    Robert
    <><