Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New to fishing and recommendations

Default New to fishing and recommendations

Hi all,

I am new here and am learning a great deal about fishing as I have never gone when I was a child. I am now learning alongside with my kids and would like to give Lake Perris a try. Is Lake Perris good for kids 4 and younger for shore line fishing? Which part of the lake would be good to fish with kids? Also I heard that there are crayfish in the waters here and would like to know can they be caught? Is there a limit to those?

Thanks in advance!

crazyace,

I have taken my grandkids out to Perris on my boat and they have had a ball. As far as shore fishing goes with the kids, I would recommend try fishing from the dock in the Marina. According to a thread posted above the blue gill are biting in the marina. The blue gill in Lake Perris can get really big and are a ball to catch. I am not a blue gill fisherman, but I believe meal worms and red worms work on them. Perhaps one of the other reads can offer some good advice.

It is great you are taking your kids fishing. It is a sport that they can enjoy throughout their whole life!

It is a lot of fun to watch kids catch their first fish. From shore I would rig 4 or 6 pound test split shot or drop shot. Live bait for Blue Gills which is the main thing you can catch from shore at LP. Your choice, crickets, meal worms, red worms, and night crawlers.
    Spilt Shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splitshotrig.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	45200

Drop Shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dropshot.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	45201

Right now anywhere you can walk down to the water comfortably with the kids is good, Sailboat cove or Fisherman's cove will be easy access for kids. You can expect to snag some weeds. Patience is needed when shore fishing.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by jerdog; 10-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks for the replies and tips, definitely will use them. We didn't make it out to Lake Perris this weekend but hopefully next week. We did try JRL in Apple Valley and my kids had a great time.

crazyace- I sent you "private message" with a little info to help you and your kids out.. And yes, the marina dock can be good at times, but so can the rocks of the dam. The dam can be frustrating because of getting snagged in the rocks, and the kids always seem to take a tumble walking on the rocks, but sometimes the fishing can be very good there. I would start on the docks, then move to the dam, if the docks are not happening..

It's something that doesn't get covered too often, but hardly anyone ever talks about what knots to use when starting out. The easiest one, and by far the most simple to tie, is the uni knot.

http://www.netknots.com/files/1813/2...9/uni-knot.jpg

I personally don't thread the tag end of the in 5-6x but only 3-4x. It's strong enough and reduces the friction on the line which could weaken it. You'll thank me later when you use this knot for tying treble hooks.

Thanks everyone, I think we will try to go there next weekend. Also thanks for all the information on tying knots and types of bait, very helpful. :D

It took you a while to respond, but just glad to help you and your kids out. Right now, fishing is not at it's best for kids because of the cooler weather. The fish bite much better in the late spring and summer when the water is warmer. You don't want to get them bored about fishing.