Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: What Makes For A Good Sand Spike Rod Holder?

Default What Makes For A Good Sand Spike Rod Holder?

Understanding The Positives & Negatives Of Sand Spikes!

I've been asked by many surf casters abroad what i look for in a sand spike & where to locate a decent sand spike. Most countries rely on cut long sections of PVC tubing. Those are ok for most smaller species. In Florida from Melbourne to Pompano that's the main type of sand spike. I also saw my bud loosing his expensive rig off Pompano using that set-up. So i sent him 3 Hawaiian 1/4in aluminum sand spikes & he loved them!

I'm going to show you what i use & what i wouldn't even touch. Experience of 45yrs of fishing around the World has taught me a lot. I'm sure they're better rigging set-ups out there, i'd love to hear about them. To this day i never lost a rig. Never.

The "V" of the angled heavy duty aluminum i face towards the ocean when inserting the sand spike (you don't have to, personal preference). And the angle of the tilt should be downwards 10°-15° offset towards the ocean from straight up (90°).

https://youtu.be/ox8l7t825oM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 8.19.45 AM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	52861