Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Tubing Help

Default 1st Time Tubing Help

I recently got myself a float tube and look forwards to taking it out on its first mission. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I could launch my tube from in Los Alamitos Bay or any other spots that you recommend trying for a beginner? I have the tube, life jacket, whistle, rod holder and fins. The only thing I do not have are waders. Do you have to wear them or are they just to keep you warm when the water is cold? Also are the regulation different for fresh and saltwater tubing? I see guys at my local lake (Puddingstone) and the say they have to wear waders and life jackets but when I have gone to the beach I see people in board shorts and t shirts? Any help would be great and thank you in advance. Feel free to PM me.

Where are you at? What areas do you want to 'tube? I hate wearing waders, so much so that I don't fish much when the water is cold.

Hi fishmounter, I live in Pomona right next to Puddingstone. I just want to go tube where I can CPR some fish. It does not matter the type of fishing or fish. I would just prefer to catch quantity over quality. I see that you put a hurting to the Bluegills at lake Perris and it looks like a blast. I have yet to ever fish there. I said Los Alamitos Bay because it is close to my work. Thanks

Congrats on your first tube! You will have a blast. Waders are not required however, as the water cools down you may find it a quality investment. Breathable waders will get you through all the winters here in Socal. On sunny days make sure to wear hat, sunglasses (polarized), buff, gloves, sunscreen, etcetera. Being out on the water all day in the tube can be worse than a tanning bed.

One of the cool things about your rod holder is you could drag bait or use it for live bait, and cast another rig at the same time.

Tight lines

Default New tube

Well it sounds like you got everything you need so far and the waders you need to wear in nov i guess it will be cold waterthen.
    Later you might want a fishfinder but that will come in time .

Have fun
    ted

In Alamitos bay it is not required to have waders and life jacket although life jackets are strongly recommended for those just in case moments.

Wish I seen the post earlier, launch on the public beaches on Ocean blvd. The one closer to the jetty is my favorite. You don't have to wear waders 3 weeks ago, I tubed with shorts and it's really not that bad, but I am not quite sure about the water temp at this moment. I don't think you are required to wear waders at the pudd either, I tubed it with shorts so have my friends. Good luck tubing, you will enjoy it a lot. Wait 'til the trout season!

If you have your fins on, don't forget to walk backwards when you enter and exit the water.

Grats on the tube. Waders are sometimes required in some lakes due to them being water reserves and such I believe the proper term would be no contact Lakes so its best to check before going

Fishfrenzy
    First time out ever in a float tube can be nerve racking so it's best to start out slow in a lake where there are many ppl around, just in case. Also learn the procedures of how to get into the water....tube inflated enough, waders, got fins, rods, tackle, drinks, stringer, etc., or you'll be going back and forth to your car and back. I suggest a dry land practice before you even get to the water. I'd also suggest wearing waders in any water because hypothermia can still happen. Better safe than sorry.
    My 2 cents worth after tubing for 20 years.
    TTFM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast