Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Looking for stories of Great White Sharks being fished in California still

Default Looking for stories of Great White Sharks being fished in California still

Hi guys and sorry if this rubs any fishermen up the wrong way, this post is not aimed at any one person or any of you in general. But I'm trying to find out about recent cases of White Sharks still being fished off the piers in California, or elsewhere there, such as the rumours and cases I've heard about these sharks being landed on the beaches in Cali or being washed up with foul play suspected.

I'm making a documentary on Great Whites which comes from a conservation angle as I'm trying to find out cases of Whites still being killed by humans despite being protected, as I hope this will help further their safety if we know more stories of how they still get killed and how to stop this.

I'm mostly concerned with events of the last 3 years up to 2016 here. I know there are youtube videos of Whites still being hooked on piers such as Goleta, Manhattan and Huntington in California, mostly near LA, but I've been told by a shark research contact there that there are other incidents of this happening that don't make the internet and are happening secretly or being posted or talked about secretly on the internet.

Also about Whites being fished from the beaches or even on boats. Basically that there may be White Shark poachers in Cali that are deliberately targeting them, or if they are catching them accidentally, they don't release them until as late as possible, which could result in their mortality after.

I don't know where to find these cases, or where to look. I wonder if anyone here can help me with this and tell me what stories they may have heard about or read, or tell me where to look for these cases.

Again I am legitimate about protecting these sharks, I'm not here to create a bad name for you guys, I know 99% of fishermen are decent people and I spoke to some fishermen on Hermosa Pier too about all this, so I know you guys are interested in protecting this species too and can see you fish sharks legally from your threads and pics, and also posted and commented criticising a guy that gaffed a White Shark onto Huntingon pier in 2017, so I know you're all against this illegal activity.

If anyone can help, do please let me know, you can PM me or post here, whatever is comfortable for you. Many thanks for anything you can help me with, it means a lot to me to find such hard to discover evidence so I am very appreciative of all this.

Recreational angling has minimal to no effect on white shark numbers. Is there occasional by-catch? Of course. The majority of sharks caught up on hook and line are juveniles. There are no yahoos running around our coast hoping to hook into jaws. Mako Shark fishing is much more exciting for those purposes.

Do you have a science background? Are you aware white shark numbers are on the upswing?
    If you want Data, contact CDFW Region 7.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully there are no one catching Whites as you say.

No science background here. But I read the PLOS ONE study about Whites increasing in population. However I have one source that criticises the study and doesn't believe the population is increasing in California, saying that the area that was studied simply had a greater migration of Whites into these locations than there had been before, hence this increased condensation of Whites there.

I'd like to see this data in more detail if CDFW have it.