Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations Please!

Default Recommendations Please!

So I have a little guy who is turning 7 in a couple of months and all he wants for his birthday is to "fish in the ocean from a boat". We have a bass boat and fresh water fish nearly every weekend and he's more of a die-hard than I am. Up at 4am and will fish 'til dark and as hard or harder than any of my adult fishing partners. There's nothing better than sharing this passion with my life long fishing buddy.

I've only been out on open-party type boats a few times spread out over many years and don't have any idea which (who) is the better of the available options, where, etc. This will be in March and I could really use some help with recommendations on your favorites charters. We live in the Inland Empire so leaving from OC or LA area would probably be best for us

So please recommend away and thanks in advance!!!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    So I have a little guy who is turning 7 in a couple of months and all he wants for his birthday is to "fish in the ocean from a boat". We have a bass boat and fresh water fish nearly every weekend and he's more of a die-hard than I am. Up at 4am and will fish 'til dark and as hard or harder than any of my adult fishing partners. There's nothing better than sharing this passion with my life long fishing buddy.

I've only been out on open-party type boats a few times spread out over many years and don't have any idea which (who) is the better of the available options, where, etc. This will be in March and I could really use some help with recommendations on your favorites charters. We live in the Inland Empire so leaving from OC or LA area would probably be best for us

So please recommend away and thanks in advance!!!

Joe
    A nice half-day boat is a good way to get him started. I would go bottom fishing for his first trip, just to make sure he catches plenty of fish. For the boat that's a tricky question. Why because the nicer the boat, the more people it will attract. You really want to take him on a unpopular boat to avoid the crowds and the tangles. You still want him to catch fish and have a good time. So I'll let other people mention their favorite boats. At the very end I'll mention my pick!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-22-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Local trips would primarily be going for Sculpin, Bass, and Triggerfish. For your son if he's the kind of kid that just loves to catch fish regardless of what kind usually perch and macs can be found in an abundance along with the bass and triggers.

My favorite harbor to go to is King Harbor. The operation there is top notch with friendly and professional staff. The Redondo Special has been slow for the bass from what I can tell on the counts, but the perch are biting. If you want some nice sized fish it looks like the 3/4day is doing really well.

You can rent a skiff out of Mission Bay and hit La Jolla up pretty easy. Jig up bait using a sabiki, (macs) and use a dropper loop off the Condo in about 180'. Irons have been working okay as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Please feel free to keep them coming! ��

Go out of San Diego.

I recommend the 12:30 pm half day boat on Sundays out of Dana Wharf. Two reasons, great fishing
    and it is a trip that is geared for young children. Children fish free with a paid adult ticket, plus there
    is a children's fishing clinic that teaches kids how to ocean fish and a drawing where your son can
    win bags of lures and free trips.

Since it is his birthday, I ssy come down to San Diego and hit a limited load boat. That way u get a great boat and less people!

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    I recommend the 12:30 pm half day boat on Sundays out of Dana Wharf. Two reasons, great fishing
    and it is a trip that is geared for young children. Children fish free with a paid adult ticket, plus there
    is a children's fishing clinic that teaches kids how to ocean fish and a drawing where your son can
    win bags of lures and free trips.
    Second that.

X3 and the boat will be geared for safety for your son. Also short boat ride out to catch some fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Second that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast