Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float Tubing for Panfish 2018

Default Float Tubing for Panfish 2018

I'm getting into float tubing this coming year as it's much easier than to bring the inflatable boat especially when fishing solo. If there are any of you fisherman out there who enjoy catching panfish i.e. blue gills, redears and know a few good spots to go I'd love to meet up and fish for them. Ive fished at Perris, Lower Otay before with limited success.

I have fished Perris from a float tube for several years now.. Couldn't ask for a better trophy Bluegill place. Never in my life have I caught so many Bluegill over 10 inches long. Some even larger. But all the big ones get released to keep the big BG fishery going. We use a special little lure and also a special set-up for bait fishing. If they finish the work on the dam and re open the Bernasconi side, it will be really good. An easy launch (but a walk to the lake from the parking area). Fishing is slow now but will get better in the Springtime. I'd love to float tube with you sometime.

The other place you might consider if you don't mind the drive is Lake Barrett. (you can't keep the fish) However, it's no stop action on real nice Bluegill and Crappie. A tube launch fee is only $20 and you can hook up with other anglers. Go to SD fish forum and make some new friends. (there are a lot there) Make sure you write a report with pictures. (people will find it very entertaining)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.

I was going to also mention Barrett. I've been lucky to have fished the lake a dozen times. After a morning fishing for bass, we bring out the ultralight outfits and have a blast catching some very big Bluegill. On a couple of my last few trips there, we just brought the ultralight outfits and fished for the big panfish all day! I got my largest one there..a 12 inch giant.

Hi fishmounter, that sounds good, I've got a older fishfinder that i'd like to try out as well. As I mentioned I could use some pointers regarding lures,
    techniques but I also love dropping down a worm and feeling the bite! Do you think they are going to be open again in a few months?
    I know they start their spawns in early spring and with our Soutnern Cal weather that's not too far out. I'll send you a PM as it draws near or reach out to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I have fished Perris from a float tube for several years now.. Couldn't ask for a better trophy Bluegill place. Never in my life have I caught so many Bluegill over 10 inches long. Some even larger. But all the big ones get released to keep the big BG fishery going. We use a special little lure and also a special set-up for bait fishing. If they finish the work on the dam and re open the Bernasconi side, it will be really good. An easy launch (but a walk to the lake from the parking area). Fishing is slow now but will get better in the Springtime. I'd love to float tube with you sometime.

i drop shot for them but instead of like a regular drop shot i do two surgeons loop knots one like 1 foot off bottom and other like 3 foot then use one hook on each surgeon loop, and do one small bait and one bigger bait and a weight at bottom. have fun with your double ups. baits i use are like rip a robo worm like 1 inch and put it on, or pieces of nightcrawler or those really cheasy looking cheap soft plastic insect looking baits. at castaic ive never got them to commit on like a trout spinner bait ect. or super small crankbaits,, for me they like it to be easier and slower. though i have seen a monster bluegill come out the depths and ready to smash a 5" swimbait at castaic upper, but at last second he saw me and took back off.. and im talking a monster bluegill. good luck man. in winter and dead heat of summer they are pain to find and usually deep but they like to bite fast so you dont have to spend like a huge amount of time in one spot hoping to get a bite like these catch and released largemouth. ps the fall is also a really good time to get them because they come shallow but it can be really early fall or middle or late so you have to kinda of try for them to know if they have moved up or not. but then after that they go deep. pss. from the banks i just use one hook though but on top of water i use 2. its basically the same set up i use if i go rockfishing in the ocean on a boat. cya
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 01-15-2018 at 08:07 PM.

steelhead... The Bluegill start their biting and spawning in around the end of March and the bite stays good until October-November. My buddy who fishes Perris several times a week just for Bluegill and Redears and keeps a boat at the marina did good almost until Christmas this last year (2017). The Redear spawn earlier in the year than the Bluegills and they will bite on worms mores than the Bluegills. We will put a small nightcrawler or large redworm on our little jigs to catch them. Redear Sunfish are strong fighters, especially when first hooked. A one pounder will really pull your reel's drag out with light outfits and 2 lb test! Make sure your drag is not too tight!

Jdogg, I'll have to try it out, I have fished them off a bobber about 6-7 feet beneath the surface but don't think i'm getting them down enough. I usually stay within 15-20 feet of the shore so maybe i'm not getting out far enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    i drop shot for them but instead of like a regular drop shot i do two surgeons loop knots one like 1 foot off bottom and other like 3 foot then use one hook on each surgeon loop, and do one small bait and one bigger bait and a weight at bottom. have fun with your double ups. baits i use are like rip a robo worm like 1 inch and put it on, or pieces of nightcrawler or those really cheasy looking cheap soft plastic insect looking baits. at castaic ive never got them to commit on like a trout spinner bait ect. or super small crankbaits,, for me they like it to be easier and slower. though i have seen a monster bluegill come out the depths and ready to smash a 5" swimbait at castaic upper, but at last second he saw me and took back off.. and im talking a monster bluegill. good luck man. in winter and dead heat of summer they are pain to find and usually deep but they like to bite fast so you dont have to spend like a huge amount of time in one spot hoping to get a bite like these catch and released largemouth. ps the fall is also a really good time to get them because they come shallow but it can be really early fall or middle or late so you have to kinda of try for them to know if they have moved up or not. but then after that they go deep. pss. from the banks i just use one hook though but on top of water i use 2. its basically the same set up i use if i go rockfishing in the ocean on a boat. cya

i can only speak on castaic cuz thats all i fished the past couple years. but in spring they are shallow in summer they are also shallow but there has to be some type of cover either rockpiles or bushes for them to get shade from or they wont be around. though they can also be deep if there is nothing for them to hide from sun. in fall they are basically on every rock that you can see even if its only 1 foot off shore. then in winter at least at castaic they go deep and are a pain to catch till spring. my experience is just from the banks though. with a little boat renting in summer and fall. i usually bait and wait a small hook on most my trips just incase some panfish hit or crappie or anything really. though if you find the school when they are deep or shallow it should be good fishing since they dont take a lot of time to catch like some fish. i do bobber and float and fly sometimes i think those pay off really well when its feeding times but since fish most the time are sitting still almost on the ground in cover i think drop shot is the better method when not in feeding times. though i have caught a monster bass with float and fly non feeding times after like 50 casts to the same spot.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 02-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.