Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better to to Catch and Release stripers or keep?

Default Better to to Catch and Release stripers or keep?

We do mostly trout fishing and release far more than we keep for the eating. However, in some places, talking to fish biologists, they want us to take fish as certain species are overpopulated and thus stunted.

I don't know much about stripers. I know that they are not stocked and multiply just fine no matter the fishing pressure. With Silverwood, is the recommendation to keep or release the Stripers caught?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    We do mostly trout fishing and release far more than we keep for the eating. However, in some places, talking to fish biologists, they want us to take fish as certain species are overpopulated and thus stunted.

I don't know much about stripers. I know that they are not stocked and multiply just fine no matter the fishing pressure. With Silverwood, is the recommendation to keep or release the Stripers caught?

Thanks.
    There is a warning about eating too many of them at Silverwood. But I'll let others with more knowledge then myself, give more details from about that!

keep as much as you can as long as your within limit regulations, stripers are a invasive species if they dont have any small shads to feed on they'll start targeting little bass, panfish etc. I remember the panfish population was high 20 years ago, what do you think killed them off

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fishing_freak View Post
    keep as much as you can as long as your within limit regulations, stripers are a invasive species if they dont have any small shads to feed on they'll start targeting little bass, panfish etc. I remember the panfish population was high 20 years ago, what do you think killed them off
    Mmm, with that train of thought -- keep as many largemouth, bluegill, crappie, smallmouth, rainbow trout that you want as well within your limit since they are also non-native, invasive species to the region.

Whole native species nonsense is made up by same liberals who think there are 53 genders and a man can become a woman by mutilating himself. Get this, plants and animals move around. Sometimes they're carried by other animals and get established somewhere else. Sometimes a bird eats some seeds and ***** them out somewhere the plant never lived before and it starts growing there for the first time. Nothing unnatural about this and the people stating the contrary are simply trying to freeze time.

My take is eat um up, no worries unless your pregnant or a child or a pregnant child I suppose. At my age I could eat 20 lbs of striper a day and not glow. They also have a warning out on algae contaminating the fish somehow. Any reasonable individual washes their fish after cleaning and that is all that is necessary for the algae problem.

Take your limit, please! Too many fish, although the largemouth and panfish seem to survive just fine. I realize the crappie population and shad seem to have taken a hit but there are millions of silverside and other forage not to mention I’ve caught some slab bluegill the last couple weeks on the fly, th lakes in fantastic shape. Oh and on a positive note shad have been spotted by reliable sources this summer! Hope they return in abundance helps with the average size of the fish I believe and who doesn’t love a topwater shad boil.

Speaking of topwater, the whole summer there has been a very good topwater bite.

But if I were Etucker I definitely would not catfish at Silverwood, horrible bite I’d stay away if I were him.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    My take is eat um up, no worries unless your pregnant or a child or a pregnant child I suppose. At my age I could eat 20 lbs of striper a day and not glow. They also have a warning out on algae contaminating the fish somehow. Any reasonable individual washes their fish after cleaning and that is all that is necessary for the algae problem.

Take your limit, please! Too many fish, although the largemouth and panfish seem to survive just fine. I realize the crappie population and shad seem to have taken a hit but there are millions of silverside and other forage not to mention I’ve caught some slab bluegill the last couple weeks on the fly, th lakes in fantastic shape. Oh and on a positive note shad have been spotted by reliable sources this summer! Hope they return in abundance helps with the average size of the fish I believe and who doesn’t love a topwater shad boil.

Speaking of topwater, the whole summer there has been a very good topwater bite.

But if I were Etucker I definitely would not catfish at Silverwood, horrible bite I’d stay away if I were him.
    I love you too Dale! Lol

I have no clue why more guys don’t catfish the lake man, it puts out DD cats regularly and 5-8 is about average. Get off your *** and go for a hike across Cleghorn under the campground or hell the swim beach in Cleghorn is excellent at times too. The river channel holds beasts.

Big tip after the first rains fish the swim beach area, the local Asian population is well aware of this and the cats go nuts when the food is washed in from the rains.

Don’t tell anybody I actually helped you etucker, would be bad for my rep.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I have no clue why more guys don’t catfish the lake man, it puts out DD cats regularly and 5-8 is about average. Get off your *** and go for a hike across Cleghorn under the campground or hell the swim beach in Cleghorn is excellent at times too. The river channel holds beasts.

Big tip after the first rains fish the swim beach area, the local Asian population is well aware of this and the cats go nuts when the food is washed in from the rains.

Don’t tell anybody I actually helped you etucker, would be bad for my rep.
    The funny part is, my friends really like fishing Lake Silverwood! We went 6 times in the last 3 months for other species and did real well. Thanks for the catfish tip! A couple of quick questions if you don't mind. When you say the swim beach area, do you mean in Cleghorn by the Life guard towers. Or up closer where that stupid trout fishing was in Cleghorn in June?

Actually, Rainbow Trout are native to this region, including where Silverwood Lake is now, I think. The other species all come from east of the continental divide.

And no, fish don't just show up on their own in new watersheds unless something drastic happens, like streams changing course. Rainbow Trout are native to various SoCal watersheds because they are able to go to sea and migrate up different streams, plus when the oceans were lower, streams that now do not meet used to confluence so that fish could swim from one to the other.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast