Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hooping 9/29

Default Hooping 9/29

Launched at sunset (a little later than I wanted) but figured since it was Monday it wouldn't be too crowded. A mile shy of my first choice I could see it was occupied---there was probably room for a second boat, but I didn't want to crowd anyone; you know, the whole "do unto others" saying. I made a 6 mile move to my second choice spot...occupied. Third choice...occupied. OK, I see a pattern here. I managed to find a couple spots that were open and got to work. It was pretty slow for the first part of the night....we had two keepers by 10pm. I was hoping the other boats working the area would leave early being a Monday night and all, and I was right. At about 11pm we were the only boat working the area. I was able to move in a little shallower and on my first hoop I picked up 3 legals, then another, then another, with lots of shorts mixed in. With 8 legals in the boat I made a move a little closer to home (hoping that spot was open too), and decided to make a couple sets to close out the night. We were rewarded with 7 more legals and about 15 shorts on the 2 sets. Most of the bugs were on the smaller side, with one decent one.

Conditions: A little bumpy to start off the night, with some leftover swell from the weekend. At about 10pm it laid down and was nice. Not a lot of current, but just enough to put a little scope on the shots. Seals were a non-factor until 10pm, when they got fairly aggressive.

Off the water at 3am. Home at 4am. Asleep by 4:15am. Up at 6:30am to get ready for work. You only live once...you can sleep when you're dead.

Biggest of the night

Boat limits

Awesome and great report!!!!!

I fished Point Loma yesterday and there was miles and miles of traps, crazy....