Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: How To Catch Live Bait!

Default How To Catch Live Bait!

Getting Ready For A Night Of Live Baiting!

During the day i tend to use use cut baits. For night i prefer live bait, either fish or crab. So i'll share how i prepare myself for getting baits ready for casting at night. At time frame 0:48 i'll show a detailed graph on how i execute my system of whipping for live fish. At time frame 4:05 i'll be showing a few on site vids of what i was explaining.

For my bait rig i'm using a 9'6" Okuma SST Rod. The Reel is a Okuma Ceymar C40 with 8lb Sensation monofilament line. Today i used 8ft of 10lb Seaguar fluorocarbon leader as the 4lb & 6lb were snapping. Lighter line is always preferred but since the water was a bit murky it hid the line well. I still prefer small hooks. Today i used Mustad#12. Normally i use #15 but ran out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50aoQKDkUo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover1.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	51950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover2.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	51951  

Nighttime is the best time to use a cast net. Target and bait shallow areas with fish meal or pellets, then periodically net over the sunken bait. Catching bait shrimp during daylight hours is also common, but it's generally more productive in deeper water—10 to 20 feet—near channels and drop-offs.