Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sunday, May 24th

Default Sunday, May 24th

The weather wasn't ideal but we had planned this trip based on one of my fishing buddies picking up his new bass boat just two days prior (back story - I bought my boat last June and both my fishing partners - who had never caught a bass until they fished with me - now have their own bass boats, lol). So the three of us each headed out with our sons to give Skinner a shot. We got there right at 6am as they were letting the first vehicles in. I must say I was surprised to see so few in line given the holiday weekend, but I guess the weather was a turnoff.

We launched and so began the mini-tournament; Team Red Boat (us), Team White and Team Blue. We tooled around to the ramp 2 area and my boy was on only 3 casts in - spinner bait. Not huge but we were on the board. I was fishing a slower presentation (really finessey drop shot set up) so I was only on my second cast, then netted his fish - and two cast after I was on. I thought "holy cow, is this how it's going to be?"

After that it slowed a bit. It misted all morning and transitioned into a good rain for a short time. We suited up in our rain gear and pushed on. It shut off shortly after and warmed up a bit and was quite pleasant.

In all I picked up 7 LMB to the boy's 2 and we even trolled around some points a little a picked up a couple of small striped models. We bailed sometime early afternoon. Team White and Team Blue both left with their tails between there legs - skunkola.

Given the weather I guess we did okay. We sure had fun so I guess that's what counts. I have only fished Skinner one other time and that was last summer. I hope to get to know this lake better this year.

Joe

Look at this kid holding those fish like a pro....Excellent! Way to go guys!

Baja1ab,

What great times. You son will be "hooked" for life! I miss fishing with my sons now...they're busy at the salt mine; so I take the grandkids now!